1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabinet's capacitor fell out during shipping: What to do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DyerWolf, Jun 16, 2007.

1. DyerWolf

DyerWolf

Jun 3, 2007
    I bought a used DrBass Rx210 on eBay recently, and when I opened up the box I immediately noticed something rolling around in the bottom of the cabinet. I emailed Marc immediately and he was very helpful, but by the time I figured out how to open the cabinet and discover that it was a Capacitor that had fallen out, weekend was upon us and I believe he only checks and replies to the DrBass email address during the work week.

So, the capacitor reads "Dayton MPR 5.6uF 250v 5% Audio Grade." I don't really have much experience with electronics but I was hoping this is something that can be easily reinserted into it's original position within the cabinet if I only knew where to put it, because I'd rather not ship the amp back to DrBass or pay a local amp technician who more than likely has no experience with DrBass cabinets. Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

For the record, I had been playing the amp before I found out what it was inside and it worked (as far as I could tell) normally. Since I found out it is a fairly important piece I have stopped using the cabinet. Would using it without this capacitor damage the cabinet in any way? Could I go back to using it in the mean time?

Thanks for any help.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Dayton is the house brand of Parts Express. Dr. Bass could probably recommend a current part number from the Parts Express catalog, and provide a schematic. Any amp tech should be able to install the cap.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I think the capacitor filters out frequencies above or below a predetermined frequency. I presume it would be on the tweeter or smaller speaker.

It probably better NOT TO PLAY IT until you speaker to DRBASS or whoever you bought it from and THEY KNOW if its o.k.

4. Yeah, just wait 'till ya 'get the word'. You also might wanna check the condition of the cones.. (why..?) If that was my cab, I'd be concerned if that cap has poked any holes in the cone's material or not.

5. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    That capacitor more than likely filters out low frequencies from the tweeter and is necessary to keep those frequencies from instantly damaging the tweeter. If that is indeed where it's from, then it's also likely that when the capacitor fell out it disconnected the tweeter from the circuit (since the capacitor is inline with one of the speaker leads) and it will no longer function until reconnected. Have you noticed that you no longer have any high frequncy output?

6. DyerWolf

DyerWolf

Jun 3, 2007
    Well, I got the cab with the capacitor out so I wouldn't have noticed a change, but when playing in the high register it was still producing sound although I didn't really get the chance to do too much testing before I found out what it is. It coming from the tweeter is a good suggestion, because the cab was giving me tons of hum when the Tweeter was set to anything but 0.

As for the capacitor poking wholes in the speaker, I think this is probably unlikely. I've looked up pictures of capacitors and while most of them have some sharp edge, this one is a small, simple cylinder without any sharp edges or points.

Have any of you needed to replace a capacitor before through a technician? What should I be looking to face for a service charge?

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Make sure it's broke before you fix it. Normally a crossover cap's leads are soldered at both ends and the cap glued to the crossover board, so you'd have to have had joint failure at all three places for the cap to fall out. It might have been a stray part. Get a schematic and do a parts count to be sure.

A cap is a three dollar part that will cost you $50 to have installed.

8. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    also, if that's a flux capacitor, DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT drive over 88 miles per hour with that cab in your car. :bag:

JR

9. He is right.. You might get more than you had bargined for! :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021