1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabinets for a Line6 Helix

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Music Attorney, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Music Attorney

Music Attorney

Feb 22, 2004
    Per my previous thread, all of my bass equipment was stolen.

After getting caught up on new equipment for the first time in many years, I think I’ve decided to go with the Helix from Line6. I think it will be fun, it will sound good enough (or better) for my non-professional needs, it will reduce what I have to carry, and isn’t crazy expensive compared to what I would spend if I purchased individual units to replicate some of the sounds, etc.

Following my near decision on the Helix, I looked into power and a cabinet. Again, after getting caught up on things, it seems like powered FRFR speakers in stereo are a great way to go based on portability, convenience, sound, price, etc. Currently, I think the Yamaha DXR10 and Line6 L3T are frontrunners. The L2T would be better size/weight wise, but it sounds like the L3Ts will be better for a bass + modelling rig.

That said, and for purposes of this post, I would love to hear what y’all think in terms of alternatives to my cabinet choices. Portability and weight are key considerations for me as well as a stereo set up and the capability to accurately reproduce what’s in the Helix.

I know there is a lot of information out there on this subject and I have researched and read about this issue extensively online. I’m just asking the TB community to share whatever thoughts, insights, experience, suggestions, etc. they may have.

Thanks in advance.

MA

2. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    FRFR is the way to go.
    My FRFR is Line 6(HD 500X for now, Helix in May or June after tax time)->Rack with SansAmp RBI->dbx 166xL(speaker protection)->QSC 2402->ACME B2's. At our "house gig" with a very good PA, using the FOH mains + drummer's LOUD monitor + a touch in my vocal monitor(Yamaha with 15+horn) works fine.

I have powered full range cabs(PA & FR keyboard stuff) at home that sound excellent with the Line 6 run into them also.

If you can, try out the Yamaha's(10 vs 12 vs 15) vs the Line 6. Yamaha has the edge on making speakers and cabs over Line 6, IMO. If you have FOH and good monitors, you may find you do not need a lot of low end in your rig making the stage sound muddy(get lows from FOH subs and drummer's monitor, it works for me). Sound operators would prefer not to have your rig fighting/competing with their FOH, they'd appreciate less lows from your stage rig.

NOTE: no matter what FRFR you choose, you will end up having to make minor EQ + other tweaks to your patches when run at stage volume. Learning the Helix(or HD500X) EQ/level controls without using a computer interface make this easy to do but be sure to save all of your patches on a computer prior to making changes on the fly in case you want to "go back". You may also find that you need to re-level and SAVE your volumes from patch-to-patch at STAGE VOLUME so, when using it live, you don't have extreme volume jumps when changing patches on-they-fly.

3. Music Attorney

Music Attorney

Feb 22, 2004
    Thanks for replying. The overwhelming number of my playing opportunities don’t involve running through FOH. Just jam sessions and other similar situations.

I should have mentioned that I play keys, as well, which is another reason I want FRFR. However, those B2s you have get a good rep for having the necessary full range and being a great bass cabinet (which is my primary use).

Yep, I totally get and understand this mantra (and the pitfalls of not following it), but it’s more likely I’ll make my best educated guess, pull the trigger, and have the option to return if I don’t like my first choice. In fact, I'll be at NAMM tomorrow "shopping". However, for what I’m doing, what I want, and based on the reviews I read, it seems hard to imagine I won’t be able to make this rig sound great to me.

Thanks for the opinion. That’s what I was asking for.

Again, probably won’t have much FOH support so low end in the rig itself is important.

Yep. Tips like yours and others tell me I have a lot to learn and do, but I think that will be some of the fun.

Best,
    MA

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sucks about your gear getting stolen. Sorry to hear. Can't help you otherwise, though. I say get an SVT and 810e :D

blubass likes this.
  5. imma follow this thread