Cabinets, Heads? I Need Some Direction!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darkfish01, Feb 13, 2005.

1. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Hello Talkbass. From what I've seen, you're all helpful folk, and I hope you'll help me out with a decision I need to make. I'm in a Christian alternative band, (we're all in high school), and my guitarist is pushing through a Marshall head with a Behringer stack (his family is ridiculously rich), and all I have is a Behringer BX1200 120 watt combo amp. The head part of it is good, but the speaker gives me a strange sound when I start pushing it. I don't think the speaker they equipped with it can't handle the amp. Nonetheless, I'm interested in getting a cabinet, but possibly keeping the amp and using the cabinet as an external speaker (it can do that). This sounds good in theory, but there are a few problems I have. One is that I have no idea what type of cabinet I want!! Another is that my combo amp is 48lb, and a beast to haul around. I don't want to get a head just yet, but when I do, it will be a Behringer BX3000T 300 watt RMS head. Right now, I'm focused mostly on getting a cabinet, but I need to make sure that it can handle the BX3000T when I get it! I'm on a budget, I don't want to spend more than $350. I appreciate it!
  2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Two good places to start are Avatar and Dr. Bass
    Both places offer excellent sounding cabs for not much money. I own an avatar and can say it's very sturdy, has great tone and is far and away my favorite cabinet I've ever played so far. But many others will rave about Dr. Bass... you can't go wrong. Good luck man.
  3. Check out the 4x10 combo from SWR (workingman series) at Heres a link to it
    They have those on sale for $300. That will also nicely handle 300 watts when you get the Behringer head. It is at 8 ohms so it may not get the full 300.

A little question though for someone who knows, does the Behringer put out 300 at 4 or 8 ohms. I'm assuming 4 but I'm not sure.

Good luck!
  4. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    +1 on the Avatar post.

They can build them in 8ohm or 4ohm whatever you want. Sound very good for the money too.
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would add Low Down Sound to your list. I also own some Dr. Bass cabs, and am very impressed with them. Avatar gets a pretty good rep, too.
  6. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I'm a big fan of the Yorkville stuff, best bang for your buck.

And the used Yorkie stuff on eBay can be really affordable.
  7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

That Behringer 120 combo lacks guts and has no bottom. I've tried them a couple of times. If you're willing to go used, try a Peavey 115 BX BW (Black Widow speaker) cabinet. They seem to be selling for less than $150 -$200 and even though they don't have a tweeter, they have excellent "throw" in the midrange for a 15" speaker.

I use one with an Ampeg SVT3 Pro and it totally fills our 400 seat church auditoriuim without PA support even with a couple of healthy guitar amplifiers and an enthusiastic drummer.

Before I got the Ampeg, I used a 160 watt Peavey Deltabass head and that combination is actually very impressive.

To echo DMB's post, I saw those prices on SWR cabs from Musiciansfriend and was surprised at the discount, pretty cheap for what you get.

The Avatars have always been interesting to me and they seem to use good construction techniques and speakers.

However, if you think your combo is hard to lug around, you're not going to like 80 pound cabinets any better.