Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cabinets, heads - what are you on about?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by agyeman, Jun 17, 2001.

1. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I am a complete newbie when it comes to bass amps. I have a small practice combo amp, and have only used combo amps at practice rooms.

What is a basic cabinet, speaker, head thing setup? What do i need for a system i can start with and then improve as i progress?

2. xHarperx

xHarperx

May 8, 2001
    stacks are good cause if you wana up grade you don't have to throw out the whole box!! one thing that I found is that if you get a cheep head with power (yorkvile 400 wich I have and love will run you about $500 new) but the thing that I sugest is start with a GOOD (ampeg, messa ect. no yorkville, SWR crap) 2x10 cab or something that can be added too because most of the quality of sound comes from your cab trust me I've played cheep heads, good head, cheep cabs, and good cabs and as long as you have a good cab you'll sound awsome!!

3. Well, here i am to translate.
    You will probably want a stack when you start playing gigs and/or practices with loud drummers/guitarists.
    They consist of a head and a cabinet (or more).
    The head is the amplifier, which as you probably know amplifies and helps you shape your tone. The cabinet consists of the speakers, encased in a wooden "cabinet".
    If you want to get a stack setup, I would recommend that you check how much cash you have and where you will be playing. They are connected by a cable and there it is!

And whoever posted before said quite a bit of bull. BOTH pieces of equipment (head and cab) have to be of good condition. If you get a cheap, underpowered head you might end up forcing your signal and therefore distorting your sound. A quality cab is needed because it is what emmits the sound, so if you get a crappy cab you will also have a crappy tone/level volume.

Contrary to what xHarperx said, the quality of sound comes mostly from your bass, then the amp. It is true that the cab has to be good, but the whole chain has to be running in good condition.

4. and also, your choice might depends on the gigs you play. A head with around 200 watts of power and a 2x10 cabinet will be great for smaller gigs and practices. However, you may use the same setup if you go through a PA in a larger gig. Check the music store and buy what you like, not what everyone wants you to like.

if you have any q's just email me.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    SWR crap?! i think not!

probably for moving up in the world of bass amps - as good of a head as you can buy with a 2x10 or 15 would be perfect. that way - if you need more sound, you can buy another cab and turn it up. then, if you need more power, you can upgrade the head.

also, look for a head with speakon connectors. i had my 350 running my triad with a speakon and the 2x10 with a 1/4 speaker cable, then changed to all speakon, and it sounded better! no sh!t.

also, i don't know about your budget, but if you want ONE cab that can hold you for a long time - check out the SWR triad. it's a 15, a 10, and a horn. i've seen used ones go for around 400, and they sound great!

jason

6. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Thanks alot guys. I do need something loader. My bands drummer seems to think he can only play srums well when he is bashing the hell out of them.

7. Yah, it's common for some drummers to do that. SWR makes great stuff. Two days ago I tried out the triad with a 350 head, reaaaallly good!