cabinets: Mesa Boogie vs. Hartke

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SaintAlphonzo, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Hi,

I'm in the market for a cabinet - looking at Mesa Boogie, which I like but is twice the price of Hartke. I have a Hartke 5000 head, play a Warwick Rock Bass and play metal. Metal music, not metal noise.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
  2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    What kinda sound are you going for? The Hartke stuff can tend to be real tinty. For metal I would go for the Boogie. What kinda configuration are you looking for, 10's, 15's. A little more info and we can lay it down for you.

3. Ahmen brother!

Ha, anyway...I play metal MUSIC and own a hartke cabinet...At one point I did play it with a hartke head (and an additional avatar 115). The cab had decent sound but really left me worrying because of how much abuse I was giving it. It didnt seem to handle to much before acting up... I am going to purchase a Mesa M-2000 head this weekend, and I was able to play it through 2 410 powerhouse cabs a few days ago. The cabs really took the wattage well and didn't act up. They left me in Metal heaven...The sound was brilliant for the percussive player. In fact, I plan on finding a good used powerhouse 1000 to replace my current gear. Good stuff!

...Give me until Sunday or Monday and I will tell you if the Mesa head makes a difference with my hartke 410xl...

Generally, Hartke is not a staple in heavy metal music (although I heard rumor of the bassist from tool 'toolin' around with hartke). It is usually Ampeg or Mesa. IMO ampeg cabs are really cheap sounding though...Horribly cheap sounding compared to Mesa (I came to this conclusion after several of my own personal ampeg vs. mesa trials at music stores around MI).

So far in my experience, Mesa is the choice. I would try to pick up a used one, however. They used EV speakers and were supposedly of greater value. Can someone specify which models in which year span this was?
  4. Hey, your birthdays on the 22 too, cool.
  5. Justin Chancellor toolin' around with Hartke? I know he's a pretty loyal Boogie user, at least up till now...

As for the rest of the setup, I'm thinking I can get away with 2 10s. Mesa Boogie makes a cabinet with 2 tens that retails for $480. I'd like 4 tens - actually I'd like 4 tens with a 15" bottom - but that's not the kind of luxury one can afford living in Manhattan. No ROOM for the damn thing. I already have a Marshall and more guitars, keyboards and gear than my wife can stand...

Besides, on the rare gig in NYC where I actually have to bring a cabinet, they're gonna mic it anyway. And most of the time the club has a cabinet anyway and I just need to bring a head. I'd actually like to trade in my Hartke head for a Boogie head while I'm at it, but first I gotta pick up some more lotto tickets!

In short, I just want the best sound I can get, I'm not overly concerned with volume, because it can always be mic'd for the type venues we play.

Thanks again for the advice.

P.S. - come see us in Brooklyn on 11/29 if you're in the NYC area!
  6. Wow, we have the same birthday!

There's a trip - have a great one!
  7. You too!

Anyway,,,the whole Tool-Hartke thing is just some BS I picked up somewhere so take it very lightly.

I'd say mesa for your situation. It's good. That is unless, others have another oppinion...
  8. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Oh, you should have posted the JC - Hartke thing a little while back on Tooltabs. People would be halfway up your ass before you could blink.

I like Mesa... except for the Bass 400+, which was incredibly disappointing for a tube head. It was flat and weird compared to the M-Pulse 600, but that was more than likely due to the fact that it was running through a single 2 x 10.

I've not yet had the chance to try Hartke, as my GC doesn't carry them, but their bass virtuoso floor manager said that he'd take Hartke over Ampeg, so you can take that with its grain of salt.
  9. Hmm. I wish that you could build on that statement.
  10. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Some of the n00bs there are gear-crazy and would go all psycho if you mentioned Hartke and Justin Chancellor if they knew it was wrong. Everybody wants a Silverburst Les Paul, ten Zooms, and a Wal. It's pretty damn funny sometimes.
  11. God, cant people respect others opinions and preferances.

There is value in things that arent HYPED!!!

Nostalgia Nostalgia!!! AHHHHH!!!

(Hmmm. This word has come up a lot in my vocab lately...)