Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinets, What do I do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Largemouth_Bass, Nov 20, 2000.

1. Largemouth_Bass

Largemouth_Bass

Aug 11, 2000
    Hi fellas,

I am the proud new owner of an Ampeg SVT 350 head, but now I need a new cabinet for it. I will be playing small indoor settings and some open outdoor settings without the assitance of a capable PA system. I am competing against two guitarists (loud) and a relatively loud drummer. I spent a large portion of my budget on the Ampeg and was wondering which cabinets you guys reccommend for around or less than $450. I have been looking at the Peavey 410TVX and perhaps a used Ampeg 410HE. Is 4x10 the way to go? I am eally lost here and would love to hear help that anyone has to offer. Thanks.

2. I know its out of your price range, for the time being, but i'm gonna mention it anyways, just so that you can see what the differance is. Try out the SVT 4x10 he, and then try out the Pr-4x10hl. if you go to guitar center, you can just use that ampeg set up they alwyas got, well at mine anyways, and just a flip of a switch, so you can really a/b them. anyways, you'll notice that the Svt cab sounds really... FLAT and THIN compaired to the PR. even though you said you only want to spend around $500, i'd say look into it, just incase, because its better to buy better now, than, buying more later.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    For $450 you might be able to swing TWO used 4-10 cabs, either Ampeg or Peavey. I do see people selling them for about $250 regularly enough.

The other way to go is get some good high-quality 1-15" cabs. These are not currently in favor, you can get EV and JBL loaded cabs as cheap as $100 used! If you don't mind the bulk you could also consider used 2-15" boxes.

Anyway, to maximize the volume from your amp it would be best to get two 8 ohm cabs so you would be driving a 4 ohm load. With the higher output of the amp plus the greater cone area of the dual cbainets you should have plenty of volume.

4. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I would suggest 410 and 115. I just like the bottom end sound of 15 & 18 over the 10's. And it just so happens i have a SoundTech 115 EV loaded cab for sale. But irregardless of that, thats my opinion.

5. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    I would check-out the SWR 8x8", only a little bigger & heavier than a 4x10", realy loud/efficient (rock-n-roll). I saw one for $700 new, might find a $4-500 used.

6. IMO the ampeg 410HE cabs are really lacking in the bottom end. You could get a used 810 for 500 bucks, though.

7. Largemouth_Bass

Largemouth_Bass

Aug 11, 2000
    Thanks for the replies. It seems to me that you guys don't really like 4x10 cabinets. Would I be better off getting a 1x15 rather than a 4x10? I really only have room for one cabinet right now. Thanks for the replies.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you get the right 410, you can get plenty of bottom end, and better response time, to boot. The cab has to be ported and sized for it though ... say, like an Eden D-410XLT. I know, I know ... too spensy. I must agree, though, that a 15-incher under some tens adds a little character to the tone. I'd even think about a 115 under a 210.

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    And you don't want one of those silly 810's. You'll almost never need that much sound, and you'd be better off with two 410's if you ever need all 8 speakers. That way you can lug one 410 to most of your gigs. Those danged 810's weigh 200+ pounds, for god's sake.

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Although it WOULD be kinda keen to have an Eden D-810XLT ...

11. Hey Largemouth_bass,
    I saw an ad on bassgear.com where a guy is selling an unused (he says) Peavey 4x10 for $300.. you might check that out. The ad is titled "Warwick Streamer LX" 'cause he's selling the bass, too.

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    hmmm.... no PA to hook in to? You might want to consider an ampeg Isovent cab. 2-10 slanted up towards you 2-15s facing towards each other into a folded horn(I think this is right). Sounds a little thin on stage but it really shoots the low end out to the dance floor with out having to turn up so loud it blows you over. Just a suggestion.

13. NO...they only weigh 160 pounds...

14. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois