Cable between preamp/power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by robinje, Oct 15, 2003.

1. I am finally switching over to using a separate pre and power amp setup (SWR Interstellar Overdrive and QSC PLX 1602). I want to use the XLR output from the IOD to feed the XLR input on the PLX. What sort of cable do you guys use? I am assuming that standard microphone cable will not get the job done, as it was designed for another purpose?

2. I use a mic cable. I don't see a problem with that.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, a mic cable will do fine. If you want, this is the time to invest in a nice cable. It's one that will sit there for a while, so get a nice one. the connection between your power amp and preamp is very important, so put a high quality cable on there, Like a monster cable.
  4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Use a mic-type cable, not necessarily a mic cable. Mic cables themselves are usually long, like 10, 25, or 50 feet, but you'll want something similar but fairly short--maybe 6 to 12 inches long--so it doesn't get all tangled and in the way. You don't need to "invest" in a cable. Something decent that is well made is all you need.