1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cable between preamp/power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by robinje, Oct 15, 2003.

1. I am finally switching over to using a separate pre and power amp setup (SWR Interstellar Overdrive and QSC PLX 1602). I want to use the XLR output from the IOD to feed the XLR input on the PLX. What sort of cable do you guys use? I am assuming that standard microphone cable will not get the job done, as it was designed for another purpose?

Thanks...:cool:

2. I use a mic cable. I don't see a problem with that.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, a mic cable will do fine. If you want, this is the time to invest in a nice cable. It's one that will sit there for a while, so get a nice one. the connection between your power amp and preamp is very important, so put a high quality cable on there, Like a monster cable.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Use a mic-type cable, not necessarily a mic cable. Mic cables themselves are usually long, like 10, 25, or 50 feet, but you'll want something similar but fairly short--maybe 6 to 12 inches long--so it doesn't get all tangled and in the way. You don't need to "invest" in a cable. Something decent that is well made is all you need.