Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cable damage from amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 12, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am currently using an Ampeg B 100 R as my main rig and i am starting to wonder if the position of the jack is contributuing to the damage of the cables. For example i just got a monster cable last week and after a few days of use with my ampeg it stoped working for alittel whille and when i bended the side of the cable in jack it started working, i have actually gone through this a number of times with new cables.Anyone else expirence this before ?.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Nope. I've had a B100r for 5 years or so and never had any cable issues with it. Perhaps you are putting pressure on your cable in some way?

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I would think you've got a suspect jack...it's maybe not quite making contact as it should...

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Might I suggest a good Rapco 'S' Series cable with one angled end for the amp side. I haven't had any problems with straight cords on my B100R, but if you want a cable with a right-angle end I recommend the Rapco S series.

5. MAJOR METAL

I was thinking the angle of the jack is what is causing the wire to bend.

6. I've got a B100R - been reheasing with it weekly for almost a year, no problems with any cables or contacts.

7. MAJOR METAL

Their great amps they just weigh a ton.

8. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    If a different cable is OK, and cable has problems in another amp, then it seems the problem IS with cables, and you may be doing something to damage them.

If the cable is OK in a different amp, or new / different cable doesn't always work, I'd suspect the jack.

The common feature here is the jack (and of course "you"). Usually the common feature is the problem.

In this case, the jack could have a bad connection, or you may be rolling up your cables too tight, etc.

If its the jack, use the warranty. That's what its for. You'll just need your sales receipt to verify purchase date within warranty period.