Cable Experiment...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Ok,My third cable that I bought(this year) has just hit the of the input jacks get all scratchy,and I have to keep on shaking it to get sound...

Now,I am guessing its a bad input,because my dog bit it:)rolleyes: )

Anyways...I got this spare 1 foot instrument cable that works you think I could cut both,attach the wires together,and then eletrical tape it,and have a working cable?

Thank yuo...
  2. Argh...Im anxious,Ima about to do it...any last words?
  3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    If the cable has one of those metal jacks that you can unscrew, unscrew it and check the solder connections. If you see a loose or broken connection they are pretty easy to fix if you have a soldering gun.
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Patience - that would be a good word for you ;)

An instrument lead consists of the cable itself and the plugs at either end.

Generally, the two ways they can fail are:

a) the cable breaks somewhere inside - you can't really repair this, although if you know where the break is you could always cut out that section)

b) The connection between the cable and one of the plugs breaks - cheap cables often have poor soldering holding a couple of strands of wire to the metal, supported by nothing.

The first thing to do is work out what your problem is - if the dog bit the middle, probably (a)... if it chewed on the end, probably (b).

If it's (b), see if you can resolder the dodgy connection first - taping bits of wire together is likely to give you more bits of dead cable....

5. Welp...My first method didnt I took a "good" input jack and lined both wires to the correct spots,and I had a stroke of luck...and It works!

I gotta watch it though,if that bad boy moves 1 mm I got no sound:(

Maybe I need to get a cable w/ a life time warranty or something.
  6. You sure it's not the jack into the amp? I have problems with those all the time... and so do my guitarists. Sometimes it's as easy as spinning a little nut thing on both sides, and sometimes it requires soldering. It might even be the little connector arm thing on the inside that you just need to bend back into place. It's probably a combination of the Jack itself not being secured to whatever you're plugging into, and the arm being bent. I haven't had very many instrument cables go bad... so i'm not too familiar with this. Usually it's my speaker wires that get "jacked up".
  7. oh, you messed with that already, sorry.
  8. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    My advice is to invest the money in a decent cable. I have several cables that I've owned for years and never had any trouble with them.
  9. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    I can't believe how many times I have heard people tell me that their pets chewed their cables! Spend the money on a good one then put it out of pet reach. Pet stores sell an awfull tasting liquid used to train your pet to not bite certain things. Once he's trained to leave them alone you should be okay.
  10. Crazy,it was the jack for always is:rolleyes: :meh: birthday is coming up,so I guess I might ask for a practice cable...