Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cable from pre to power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jonasp, Aug 18, 2004.

1. I got a new power amp today and am going to start looking for a preamp. Anyway, i tried the amp out using my Korg FX unit, and figured out that in order to run both channels, I need to have input going to both the channels. So my question, do you guys know anywhere that sells a short (i would like around 6-8 inches) Y cable? I would like to avoid making my own, as I dont know how (also too lazy). I guess i will make my own if it comes down to it though.
    Another question too, is this a common thing, or do some power amps drive both channels off one input?

2. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Most power amps have an option for that, read the manual and see if you can set it to mono or parallel.

3. I read through my manual and I can set it up in bridged mono. Does anyone know if running in mono all the time will affect my amp in the long run?

Also, I bought 2 banana-1/4" cables already, so I was hoping to run the amp in stereo. oh well.

4. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I asked this same exact question on another thread. It was answered by Ampeg_Insider so I take it as a qualified answer. Here is what he said:

Here is the full thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135927

So actually, he concluded that, at least theoretically, it might even be BETTER for the amp then running each side separately! Of course, I am under the mercy of the more knowledgeable as this goes beyond my primitive analysis of "well, if it puts out more power, then shouldn't it get hotter?". Yes, there is a lot for me to learn...

Good luck!

-T

5. Hmmm...I see. Thanks Transverz. Maybe ill just run in mono. Anyone else with a suggestion?

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Pete, do you know what brand and model of power amp you bought? Many of them have switches for paralleling the inputs (you wouldn't need a Y-cable), and maybe one of us is familiar enough with it to tell you whether it's possible or not.

7. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Note that when I said mono I did not mean bridged mono, but rather parallel input mono, which I have seen reffered to as just 'mono'.

8. Bob, I bought an E&W AL 1600, There are no visible switches to run the inputs in parallel and the manual doesnt say anything about it. So i think its either bridged mono or a Y cable.

9. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Out of sheer coincidence now that Bob has arrived, I'd have to say the QSC RMX amps make it easy to stereo, parallel mono, bridged mono, etc. by using the dip switches. Just in case you have a poweramp with dip switches.

Wondering if the PLX series has a non-dip switch means of adjusting all the options (filter, mono/stereo, bridge/parallel, limiter, etc)?

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    That model I don't know, but if you call Mark Hellinger at 1-509-287-2020, he can tell you if the inputs can be paralleled.

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    No, the PLX amps have DIP switches, too. The only non-DIP-switch method of configuring the amp would be to solder jumpers into place on the circuit board, and that wouldn't be very useful. ;)

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    QSC's PLX series uses dip switches for this as well . . .

13. Yeah, I thought about calling or emailing him. Thanks for all the info guys. Anyway, does someone know if i can buy short Y cables? :smug:

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Short Y cables? No. You're not allowed.

Sure. They exist, and they're made by a number of different brands. If you can find someplace that sells them, you can buy them.

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i forget the brand but sam ash (ick) sells them in the pro audio section - i got the more expensive one
    the big bummer was that they were only available in single male to 2 female, so i hadda get 2 short cables as go-betweens
    i havent noticed any sonic penalty from doing this

16. Im sure I could get some from procablesnsound, but they might be a little more spendy.

17. They'll make whatever you want for those who don't know. All of their cables are made to order. Good quality stuff. :D