1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cable pissings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Mar 1, 2008.

1. i do not know if its just my bad luck or what but my cables dont last
    i have bought long cables and short cables, cheap cables and expensive cables but nothing lasts more than 6months
    this local made 10meter cables gave up in 3weeks!

anyway which cables have you been using which have lasted a good a time without any problems?'

EDIT: i am here in New Delhi, India so going for any thing like monster cable and then getting it replaced is not a feasible option for me i need to know about cables which lasted the longest with no troubles at all

2. Venom Gold cables (have had them for about 3 years now, all still fine)

Koltz cables (Used them for about 2 years, one of the started getting dodgy, still have them tho, so with little use over the last 3 years, they are still holding up).

Everytime im finished i carefully loop the cables up, and put the in my gig bag or case. Never let them get knotted or tangled. Always have enough length so they arent getting caught in things or being strained by the jacks. Always insert and remove pulling the jack, never the cable. Always loop the cable from the output of the bass round the strap.

The guitarists in my band are always going through cables quickly, but they get bundled about in any old fashion.

If your getting through cables too quickly, they are either utter garbage, or you aint taking care of your gear.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're definitely a candidate for Monster cables. They won't sound any better and they won't perform any better, but you'll get a free one every time you break it. If I were you, I would do a thorough inventory of the things you do that break the cables, and break those habits.

4. i am just editing my first post i cant go for monster cables because i cant get them replaced here

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Sounds like you should learn how to make your own cables. Then when you DO lose one, you can clip the end off, re-solder the lead and you're good to go. Buy a spool of decent cable an a bunch of connectors and spend a few hours learning how to do it properly then you'll be set for a very very long time.

Its the perfect solution for someone who lives without some of the conveniences that most of us take for granted.:)

6. I'm still using a couple of curly cables I bought at the end of the 60s - I've had to re-solder them a couple of times, though.

7. yes sir it was these cables dieing out which made me learn how to solder so i often de- and then re-solder heads to cables.

8. which curly cables are they exactly? you get them these days?

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I see. Then I'm in the "learn to solder" camp.

10. Bhuti

Bhuti

May 9, 2006
    Harlem, NY
    Warehouse/Shop Asst. & endorsing artist of Warwick Basses
    Maybe your just not treating your cables right. Wrapping properly and not stressing them out should keep the cheapest of cables alive.