1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cable plug loose inside input jack

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jinro, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    I'm having an odd and annoying problem with my Ibanez SR505. The cable plug is loose inside the input jack. I don't mean loose as in it will fall out; it is actually secure, however it wiggles around inside the input jack. This doesn't cause any problems if I'm using the neck pickup, but when I'm using the bridge pickup and the plug gets wiggled at a certain angle (even from something as slight as bouncing my leg to the beat), I completely lose my sound and I have to wiggle the plug to get my sound back. It basically turns the balance knob into a second volume knob.

I've tried about 6 different cables and experienced this with all of them. I also popped open the hatch on the back and tightened the nut that secures the input jack, as it was loose, however the problem persisted.

This is really annoying me because my tone relies on that bridge pickup, and with the plug wiggling around in the jack my bass is completely cutting out on me.

2. Hi.

A barrell jack?

I'd change the jack, especially if it's the barrell type.

Neutrik makes a wonderful 1/4" jack with a lock, but the physical size and the appearance might not be to Your liking.

Changing the jack will take care of the plug falling out problem, but the bridge PU cutting out is most probably a result of pinched wire. The jack has probably turned and something that shouldn't make a contact, occasionally does.

Regards
    Sam

3. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    ;)

I guess it's possible, but I don't see any pinched wires, and while watching the jack from the inside while wiggling the plug around I see no movement that would cause any pinching. It feels more like the inside of the jack is larger than the tip of the plug, causing the plug to lose contact with whatever is inside the jack.

4. Hi.

My reading comprehension seems to leave quite a bit to be desired this early in the morning :).

At that case, the jack's just worn out and should be replaced. I consider it a periodical maintenance for thart typ of a jack.

There's little or nothing that can be done if the contacts wear out. At best You can coaxe a gig or a two out of the jack by bending the contacts if you're on the road, but that's all. Been there, done that.

Unless Your neck and bridge PU are connected stereo (impossible AFAIK with the jack Ibanez is using on the actives), only one of them acting up does mean there's a problem somewhere outside the jack as well though.

Regards
    Sam

5. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    It's odd that the jack would wear out that quickly--I've only had the bass for around 8 months.

One thing I didn't think about was cleaning the contacts; I'll try cleaning it out with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol and see what happens.

If all else fails I'll take it to the shop where I bought it. I have a free setup that I haven't used, so maybe they'll trade that for some electronics work.