1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

cable questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Oct 1, 2002.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i have a qsc rmx 850, i'm getting an svp pro, and i have a korg dtr-1 tuner, and a peavey 810. my question is...what cables should i use to connect it all. i know about from the power amp to the cabinet. would i use a regular 1/4 inch from the tuner to the preamp, then balanced or regular 1/4 inch to the power amp? can i just use all regular 1/4 inch cables. i mean...they aren't going to be very long.

as for the power amp to the cab...i'm gonna use a speakon to 1/4 inch. if the cable is 16 guage...will a 6ft. cable be alright? thanks.

2. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    As a general rule, you will want to use instrument cables ("patch cables") from preamp->tuner, either a balanced or unbalanced instrument cable from preamp->amp (depends on what type of input the amp has), and a good Speakon to 1/4" cable as you mentioned before (make sure it's a speaker-level cable) will work great from amp->cabinet. The Monster Cable 1000 series is probably one of the best Speakon to 1/4" speaker cables that I've found... a little pricey, but very durable & I think there's a (nominal) sound difference. That's just my opinion... I'm no expert!:)

3. I just use ordinary every day 1/4" plugs, shielded of course. I haven't had any trouble with noise or stray radio stations so far because, like you say, the lengths are so short they don't make very good antennas I guess. If I do develop problems I'll switch to balanced lines, but so far so good.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    6 ft 16 guage is fine.

brad cook

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That'll work fine, although 6 feet seems a bit longer than it might need to be. High-quality speaker wire isn't expensive--you don't have to buy Monster or even pricier stuff; there's no difference in the sound. You could even go to 14 gauge.

Companies like www.speakerhole.com and www.partsexpress.com sell both good pre-made cables and parts to make your own at decent prices.

6. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    thanks guys. as far as the 6 foot cable...i don't really want it to be that long, but it's the shortest around here. i'll check those sites out.