cable questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Oct 1, 2002.

1. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i have a qsc rmx 850, i'm getting an svp pro, and i have a korg dtr-1 tuner, and a peavey 810. my question is...what cables should i use to connect it all. i know about from the power amp to the cabinet. would i use a regular 1/4 inch from the tuner to the preamp, then balanced or regular 1/4 inch to the power amp? can i just use all regular 1/4 inch cables. i mean...they aren't going to be very long.

as for the power amp to the cab...i'm gonna use a speakon to 1/4 inch. if the cable is 16 guage...will a 6ft. cable be alright? thanks.
  2. sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    As a general rule, you will want to use instrument cables ("patch cables") from preamp->tuner, either a balanced or unbalanced instrument cable from preamp->amp (depends on what type of input the amp has), and a good Speakon to 1/4" cable as you mentioned before (make sure it's a speaker-level cable) will work great from amp->cabinet. The Monster Cable 1000 series is probably one of the best Speakon to 1/4" speaker cables that I've found... a little pricey, but very durable & I think there's a (nominal) sound difference. That's just my opinion... I'm no expert!:)
  3. I just use ordinary every day 1/4" plugs, shielded of course. I haven't had any trouble with noise or stray radio stations so far because, like you say, the lengths are so short they don't make very good antennas I guess. If I do develop problems I'll switch to balanced lines, but so far so good.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    6 ft 16 guage is fine.

brad cook
  5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That'll work fine, although 6 feet seems a bit longer than it might need to be. High-quality speaker wire isn't expensive--you don't have to buy Monster or even pricier stuff; there's no difference in the sound. You could even go to 14 gauge.

Companies like and sell both good pre-made cables and parts to make your own at decent prices.
  6. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    thanks guys. as far as the 6 foot cable...i don't really want it to be that long, but it's the shortest around here. i'll check those sites out.