Cable T.V. vs Satellite T.V.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Which do you have and what do you like or dislike about it. The reason I'm asking is that I presently have cable (Time Warner Cable of N.Y.) but, I'm getting fed up with it because the cost keeps creeping up slightly every few months (I'm paying $80/month now) and the variety of channels isn't that great, and some of the numerically higher channels are almost always snowy, something that cable companies say never happens with cable, only with satellite. I know a few people with satellite and it seems to have more channels for less money, even those that just have basic service.

What's your spin? I'm really interested.

2. I have satellite. I like it, except when it rains. There can be a foot of snow on the dish, and it works fine, but with even a rain shower the reception breaks up. It's a lot cheaper than cable/digital cable around here, and we get more channels. I have Directv and I like the MusicChoice channels.
  3. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I have DirecTV it. I think it's costing me less, plus the local channel issue no longer exists, cause you can get them on the dish---before you had to do the antenna thing. At any rate, mine runs about $35 for all the channels except movie stuff--which I don't use. I also do the NFL Sunday Ticket every year so I can watch the Steelers!!

So my vote is that it's a good thing...and yes, very heavy rain will wash out the signal sometimes, but that happens to me about 3-4 times per year, usually during Tribal Council of Survivor!;)
  4. I tried to go the DirecTV route, but I live in an apartment, and my building doesn't have an unobstructed view of the southern sky, or however they put it. Plus, if I put a dish outside at this place, it would disappear in about an hour.

I pay a little over $ 80.00/month for digital cable. I'd rather have the DirecTV so I could get the NFL package, but I like having the digital cable. I pay a lot extra for movie channels and extra channel packages for music, sports, etc. I don't really mind the extra money that much because I like the variety.
  5. I've had just about every form of pay TV, including a big C band satellite system . I now have DirecTv .while all forms have their up & down sides , IMO DirecTv is the best you can get right now in terms of cost,choice,picture and sound quality.
  6. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Digital Cable. I love it!...It also helps that it provides me with a cable modem. I did Satalite sometime ago, well, my parents did, and I hated it. All my fav. shows were all on California time, and I couldn't watch what I wanted to watch on another TV. So, I am sticking with cable.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have Digital Satellite and weather doesn't affect it like analogue .

Digital Satellite TV has most channels and is cheaper over here. My sister has cable and my Digital Satellite is better in every respect.

Easy choice!!
  8. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've got neither cable nor satellite. Good thing too - I watch too much TV as it is, and that's with just 4 channels (I can't even get channel 5!).
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

My Digital Satellite has about 340 channels!! ;)
  10. $35, now that's more like it! :) I don't know if it'll be that cheap here in NY, but $80/month x 12 months per year = $960/year. And from what I've heard the rates are supposed to go up again in a few months. I'm not the kind of person who rushes home to watch TV, but it's nice to have it there when you want it. If it messes up half a dozen times a year it wouldn't really bother me.

Thank you all so much for responding. I think I'm going to go the satellite route.

Josh, what I hate more than paying for TV is having commercials on the TV you've already paid for! :mad: Don't that beat all?

Bruce, I never thought of digital satellite. I'll look into it. :)

Thanks again,
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have DirecTv. Get over 100 channels, for about $35 a month. I lose reception about 3 or 4 times a year during severe thunderstorms. These outages usually last less than 10 minutes. That is a lot less frequently than the outages I experienced with cable. And those outages were often several hours. Cable sucks.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

13. i have a dish and a smart card programer. paid $65 for dish, 75$ for card and $600 for programer. best money i have ever spent. no bills, all stations and pay per views. somewhat illegal though.
  14. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I have had Dish Network for 3 years now without any problems. Before that I had Primestar for a couple years and Time Warner cable before that.
    I switched from cable to Primestar because 1) the cost kept going up and 2) several stations on cable were very fuzzy. I switched from Primestar to Dish because 1) it was rumored that Primestar was going out of business and 2) Dish network had more stations for a lower price.
    I was surprised how much better the picture on Dish was than Primestar since they both were suppose to be Digital Satellite. Since I live in a rural area, I also get distance feeds to the networks (I get NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox from both New York and Los Angelos). Dish also has a package of 5 Independent stations (WB & UPN) which carry shows that I could not get through Cable. For example (noting that I am a Star Trek fan) the 2 UPN stations feature new episodes of Enterprise and reruns (in the early morning hours) of Deep Space Nine and Voyager. They both carried The Next Generation until TNN bought the rights (that's fine because I get TNN too).
    The lowest package on Dish runs about $23.00.
  15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used to have cable, presently have DirecTV at my main residence and Dishnetwork at my vacation place (DirecTV isn't available there, in the Caribbean.

- DirecTV is much higher quality service than Dishnetwork, which for most packages will be a dollar or two cheaper. Its like the difference between driving a Cadillac or a Chevy. I have both services and compare them frequently, so trust me. Your call whether a buck or two is that important for you. Both are fine services, one is just better. Only DirecTV has the NFL Sunday Ticket package, and DirecTV's music channels are much better than Dishnetwork's Muzak channels. DirecTV's equipment is also much more reliable and hardy. Dishnetwork has a high equipment failure rate.

- Satellite is not cheaper than cable in all circumstances, depends on your location and what channels are important to you. If you want all the premium movie channels, satellite can become much more expensive than cable. More often than not, satellite is cheaper, depending on your local market.

- Satellite will generally give you much better picture quality than cable, and dolby digital audio on many of the channels. The detailed on-screen program guide will quickly become something you will refuse to live without once you have it.

- Rainfade. When you get REALLY hard rain, you might lose signal for a few minutes with satellite. Happens to me not more than three times a year. Cable companies like to make it seem like it happens more often. It must be a heavy, whopping rain, though, a really bad storm. I've actually found it handy in warning me to shut the windows, as the signal cuts out a few minutes before the rain starts falling (the rain clouds get in the way on the diagonal axis between the satellite in space and the dish on your house, so there is lead time before the rain hits).

- Satellite is pretty cheap for first-time subscribers, just like with cell phones. They want to get you hooked, so equipment is very cheap and in some cases free.

- DirecTV shows free full length concerts every month on a special channel, Dishnetwork does not. So far I've seen Journey, Blondie, Wynonna, Alanis Morisette, Blue Oyster Cult (this month), as well as many others.

- Personally, I wouldn't go back to cable if you paid me . . .
  16. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    yeah...I forgot about that part! I watched the Eric Clapton concert recorded in LA about 30 times (almost everyday) much that my wife started complaining about it---but it was fun watching Nathan East!:D
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have digital cable. The channels go from 2 to 659 with 45 music channels and about 80 premium movie channels in the package I have. The picture is crystal clear.

I have 4 digital cable boxes, 8 actual drops including cable modem and a local phone line. I'm also running 2 Tivo units, a 30 hr and 120 hr, both from pawnshops (cheap), both with lifetime subscriptions.

$140/month. My job pays for the phone line and cable modem, which brings the total down about $53. Works for me. Tivo is great, excellent channel guide, excellent search functions. No monthly fee makes it even better.
  19. digital cable is what i have. i love it. however, there are a few dislikes. one, i hate when the weather is bad that it goes crazy. i hate when it is down.
    satellite-well, do not like it. my mother had it and it was a pain in the buttocks.
    oh and this- with my cable i have cable internet. i pay for the full package and internet 120.00. that is not to bad. and there are so many channels, and oh the music channels are so excellent.:D
  20. With cable we have horrible reception on our local broadcast channels (we've had people out three times and the tell us they can't do anything about it). OUR RATES KEEP GOING UP! Twice in a year! They no longer carry the local sports channel that has the majority of MN T-Wolves, Wild, and Twins games! And they are rude, everytime we call.

All of this added up to looking elsewhere. DirecTV is digital and I have more channels at the same price. A similar digital package from the cable company would be twice as much.

I'm already impressed by DirecTV because I just got off the phone with my wife and the installation guy is early :eek: and our equipment hasn't arrived via FedEx yet so he is going to use equipment he has in his truck! Try to get that kind of service from the cable company.