Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cable Ties

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Trent-35, Aug 2, 2000.

1. Ok, i was running some errands and got some. I just put one on. I want to make sure i'm doing this the "right way" lol Do you guys put the cable tie over the A string only and under the rest? Thats what i did. Or do you put it over all the strings? I have it placed right about where the nut is at the start of the headstock, and clipped off the slack on the end. I never thought i'd be asking questions about Cable Tie lessons for bass 101. lol Thanks. Trent

------------------

Keep it country!

2. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trent-35:
    Do you guys put the cable tie over the A string only and under the rest? Thats what i did. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Precisely....did it work for you? Pull that mother pretty tight, but not *too* much so as to affect the intonation.

I know why you asked this here in "Basses" (see "Sustain" thread), but technically, I think it should probably go over in Misc...

-GM

3. Register_To_Disable

4. What on Earth is a cable tie?

5. Yes, it seems to have worked fine. Thanks for the tip. It didn't take harldy any finger pressure on mine at all to get rid of the rattle. As long as it holds tune this way, and i can't see why it wouldnt, it's cool with me. I did pull it about as tight as i could, but didn't really yank on it. My only other thought was it could make the E & D strings buzz from the pressure underneath, but that does not seem to me te case. Trent

------------------

Keep it country!

6. blipndub

blipndub Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Olympia, Washington
    Trent,
    Glad it worked.
    Hey, if you can get a photo of that fretless of yours here somehow , I have no doubt that an answer will come. These guys have seen it all!

Andy,
    Check out the mystical sustain post in "Basses" it will all make sense! Just think...tear gas.

7. What's all this then? What problem is the cable tie solving?

8. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Rick...in another thread (Mythical Sustain in the "Basses" forum) a few of us went off on a tangent on A string buzzing on MIM Jazz basses and how we fixed it. We fixed it with cable ties...

Andy...they're those plastic things that you stick one end into the other end and pull the thing tight, making a loop that won't loosen...

-GM