Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cable Wiring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DubDubs, Oct 18, 2004.

1. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm getting a new cab soon. I wan't to get a speakon to speakon. My first question is where can I get the cable made? My second is for bridged I would have +1 on the amp end wired to +1 on the cab end and +2 on the amp end wired to -1 on the cab end right? The amp is a QSC RMX 850 and the cab will probably be an Aguilar GS 112. Also with a standard 2 pole connector wouldn't there be just +1 and -1 it's only 2 poles, or by 2 poles does it mean it has 2 sets of + and - connects? Or do I have to use a 4 pole connector?

I know there have been 100's of threads about this but none that I could find were in depth enough to answer my questions.

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    For the amp end you'll need the 4-pole connector, but if at the speaker end you only need 1+ and 1-, then the 2-pole one will be enough.

If you have simple tools like screwdrivers and wire strippers, you can make your own.

3. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Ok, so I was right in assuming the 2 pole only has +1 and -1, I'll need the four pole then. I guess I'll make my own. So it's a 4 pole wired +1 +2 at the amp and a two pole at the speaker end, thanks.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Yup. To make setting up easier, be sure to label which end of the cable is which.

5. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Oh and where could I get some nice 10 gauge wire? I can find the connectors but no good wire. Also the +1 on the amp end goes to the +1 on the cab end and the +2 on the amp end goes goes to the -1 on the cab end, right?

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    10-gauge? How long will this cable be, 50 feet?

You can get good 2-conductor copper stranded wire at a hardware or electrical supply store. The stuff in a round rubber jacket is the easiest kind to handle because it coils and unkinks easily.

7. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Well I have some 16 gauge monser THX stuff left over. Would that be good? I only need 2-3 feet. It's not the round jacket suff but would 16ga be fine pushing 600s-850w for a 2-3 run, or should I get some better stuff?

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Sure. That should work fine.

9. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Great. I bought 50 feet of it but I only needed 10 or so of it but it was all they had and it was cheap enough. So I have lot's laying around. Thanks for all your information Bob Lee, I could never make sense of speakons before.