Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cable

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Magical_Max, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Hello, not sure if this is really the right place for this post but i'll give it a go here.
    I've just recently been shown the art of soldering and I was looking to start make my own instrument and patch leads and I was wondering if other people here make their own leads or buy them?
    If you do what jacks and cable do you use?
    Anyone got any words of wisdom they can impart to a newbie at soldering.
    Not looking for a solderless kit like George L's.

Thanks.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd say this would be best in misc.

I don't build my own cables, but I repair them and/or swich the plugs.

For me, it's Canare cable that I've come to prefer.

3. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I have made my own. I think really the best plugs are the plain old switchcraft style ones. I tried some of the more expensive plugs that are supposed to let you unplug without the typical pop, but found that they helped, but did not ellininate the issue. Not worth it IMO. I have used proco cable, but canare has a double shielded cable that I want to try. It's actually sold as video coax, but works fine for audio (copper is copper) This is an interesting artical on the topic of hum rejection in cables.

4. Thanks for the link Skorzen, I'll read through that when I get a chance at the weekend. After a very brief scan of the interweb it appears that Canare cable would be the way forward, however as always UK stockists may be a touch difficult to find...

Can anyone coment on the use of Neutrik right angle jacks (NP2-RC) ?

Thanks again.

5. I haven't used the Neutrik right-angled plugs, but I pretty much only use Neutrik 1/4" and XLR ends at work and home. Usually Belden or Delco cable.

6. I use Belden normally, but I'd like to try some Mogami and Canare as they seem to be of good quality and reasonable price.