Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by katzscratch, Jan 28, 2006.

1. katzscratch

Dec 19, 2005
    Just wondering if brand or type of cable makes a difference in sound quality and if so, what type and brand is reccomended?
  2. There was just a huge argumental post on here over this subject. It got closed, but look on there for some answers. I personally think Monster cables have everyone else beat, but lots of people say cables dont matter at all as far as sound.
  3. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    As does technical theory and testing . . . . although durability is definitely an issue between brands, sound is not . . .

- Tim
  4. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i heard Monster Cables don't withstand a whole lot beating, so i'm looking for something more durable (i'm not saying i don't like Monster Cables, i have nothing against them since none of mine have ever broken, but it's time for new cables anyways).
  5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I've been looking into Core One cables. I recently ordered the X2 speaker cable with speakon connectors. I've read a few reviews and found them to be solid stuff and reasonably priced.
  6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    What do you do to your cables that require them to "take a beating"?! :eyebrow:

Monster Cables are, IMHO, the best of the the best. Expensive, but worth every penny.

7. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    lol i jump on them. i play at church and we sometimes do some jumping. and sometimes i stand on them cuz i play in a confined space with a drummer and electric guitarist (i need to start wearing earplugs!).
  8. fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    have not tried these yet but seem like the best value around and will buy one in the future,a fellow tbasses makes em.
  9. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    I use George L cables for my instrument, cabs and effects. They're very durable and in the unfortunate event that they do break, they're easily repairable.
  10. Toe-mas

Apr 24, 2004
    St Louis, MO
    Based on what I've heard from the many, many musicians I see everyday, Monster or Mogami are the way to go. Both have killer signal quality and lifetime warranties. Both are also hella expensive.

Monster reps will tell you that their cable is set up such that the higher and lower frequencies, which travel at different speeds, travel through different parts of the cable and reach the end at the same time, giving you better signal quality. Given that a cable is rarely going to be over 21ft, that has always sounded pretty silly to me, but whether or not that's the reason, Monster cables *do* sound clearer, at least to me.

Mogami cables supposedly have really good shielding, wrapped both ways around the cable instead of just one, and so the signal quality isn't compromised if your cable is kinked up. They also sound pretty transparent to me.

The warranties on both are AWESOME, and unless someone steals your cables, you shouldn't ever have to buy more...but then, how many of you guys have had cables stolen? Everybody? Most everybody?
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Get something with a lifetime warranty from a reputable company. That way if you do have a problem, you can exchange it.

I use Monster and Mogami, for the most part. I have a couple of Fender and Dimarzio cables too.

Moved to Miscellaneous.
  12. It sounds silly because it is silly. I can launch signals in my lab with no phase delay up to at least a few MHz over 20 m. The cable we use costs us about 20 cents per foot and the shielding has over 95% coverage.

The warranties may be awesome, and that is a good feature, but I've been gigging with the same patch cord that cost me maybe $15 for the wire and connectors for about 6 years. To me it wouldn't be worth it. To others it might be.
  13. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
  14. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Doh...where I live (and play),nobody (i mean,NOBODY) dares to steal my cables or any other piece of equipment.It's a small town and I'm also the local one takes the risk to start a gossip about him!:eyebrow:
  15. It's too bad that they closed that thread, there was some reasonable discussion there that I would have liked to see go on.
  16. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    As the admin said,this issue has been discussed over and over again and the closing decision was taken in order to prevent a possible violent escalation of the subject.What might look a "reasonable discussion" to you might look different to others,no matter what attitudes,principles or scientific evidences are involved or evoked.
    Therefore,the topic remains closed.Either due to admin's rights (wich I'm not willing to comment nor here,nor anywhere on this forum because that's the way it works and it's worth respecting some rules) ,either because,simply put,sometimes doesn't matter.:eyebrow:
  17. :confused: