1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cables for Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tch90, Apr 22, 2010.

1. tch90

tch90

Jul 5, 2009
    Virginia
    I've just become a proud owner of a Markbass/ aguilar stack. However, I've heard that you shouldn't just run any instrument cable from the head to the cab. I was wondering what kind of cable I should use and there's any recommended brands.

2. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
    I am pretty sure this has been answered numerous times.

3. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
  4. Use speaker cable, not instrument cable. Thicker the better, 16 gauge should get it done.

5. tch90

tch90

Jul 5, 2009
    Virginia
    thanks. i've been trying to find the thread. search engine isn't always perfect you know

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    tch90, not only should you use speaker cables (yep, they're different from instrument cables in construction and materials), but you should consider the connectors. Your Markbass amp comes with either speakon or speakon-1/4" combo jack(s). Speakons are a better connector than the old fashioned 1/4" jacks...they lock in place, they have less chance of shorting or arcing in cases of high wattage usage and once you start using them, you'll never mistake an instrument cable from a speaker cable.