Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cables for chaining pedals??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by with_a_coupon, May 1, 2003.

1. with_a_coupon

with_a_coupon

May 1, 2003
    hey people im in need of some help here. im looking for get some cables to chain my effect pedals together. but have no idea what these cables are called. im ordering them from studiospares.com anyone know which cables i should be ordering?
    thank you in advance guys

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    6" patchcords or 6" cables, that's what I call 'em. Don't be tempted to get the cheap ones either, they die pretty quickly.

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    OK, checked out studiospares.com. I can't see that they are selling the shorts ones. It appears you have to buy the cable from them, chop it down and add the bits at the ends...

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Don't even DREAM about Radio Shack.

5. I use George L's for all my short cable runs. You can buy the ends and a length of cable and cut all the cables to the correct length and the ends just slip on and tighten the set screw.

6. Planetwaves do probably the highest quality patch leads, you can buy them in packs of 5 for quite a reasonable price. Order online if you can, usually cheaper.

7. Stay the heck away from those cheap music store molded jobbies; they suck tone in a major, big bad way. Make sure your soldering skills are up to spec B4 making your own. A cold solder joint will be a real pain down the road when it breaks loose.

8. with_a_coupon

with_a_coupon

May 1, 2003
    hey people anyone know the website for planetwaves?..

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    My current 6"s are by Whirlwind and BRTB, both of whom I would recommend

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Planet Waves

11. with_a_coupon

with_a_coupon

May 1, 2003
    thank you for the tips! much appreciated!

12. with_a_coupon

with_a_coupon

May 1, 2003
    hey guys
    anyone know a online store where i can order these? lol!

13. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I second the planet waves. I use 3 of them.They have right angle and straight thru also. Musicians F@#$# usually carries them.

14. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I'm beginning to think a major reason I am getting so much noise/hum is because of..
    1. less than adequate quality patch cables (Using "Live Wires") :(
    2. Not using my amp's effects loop for all of the rack mounted effects.

I think my effects loop may be gone on the amp. That leaves me with swapping out all of my patch cables for a higher quality and crossing my fingers that it helps.

I have been looking/reading about the George L's cables and I was wondering if they work well in patching rack effects as well as using them in pedal chains. Anyone use them in a manner other than just pedal chains?