Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cables for pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dadodetres, Mar 5, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    what would be the best cables i can get to hoock up my pedalboard? im ordering some stuff of music123 or musiciandfriend so i have to choose from what they have to ofer me

2. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    the straight plugs i think are the best. they are just 1/4 male plus on each end. I got some 6'' cables that work decent too, but i would have prefered to get the straight plugs.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

George L's is where it's at. Perfect for pedalboard. They have pedalboard kits.

4. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    I am not sure what theyre called, but I have a straight input. There is no wire, just a metal piece.

No loss of anything. and convenient for hooking up single effect units.

5. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    +1
    These are great sounding cables. Very easy to make your own to fit your board. No slodering. Wire cutters and a small (P01?) screw driver. I have used both the straight and the angled and have not had a problem with either. MF only carries part of the line, but they do carry the pedal board kit.

6. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
  7. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    make sure u dont buy TRS cables on accident

8. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    how does it work?
    i see 10 plugs and a cable, do i have to cut the cable and "make" my cables?

9. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

yes..that's the point of the kit. You simply cut, push and twist..then tighten the set screw. No solder. I use all George L's in my rig and studio. I personally don't use the right angle plugs tho...I solder Switchcraft right angles onto the George L's for all my right angle needs.

use the .155 for your pedal board..but try the .225 vintage red for leads. Don't forget the stress relief jackets..they rule.

oh..and there's cheaper places to buy the George L's then MF...the place I get my stuff from sells the .225 vintage red for 75 cents a foot.

10. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    If I remember correctly, for the 90 degree units you (1) cut a piece of cable to length with ordinary wire cutters (2) unscew the cap on the plug (3) push the cable into the plug where it makes contact with some needles (4) bend the cable 90 degrees into a slot (5) screw the cap back on. With the straight plugs there is a set screw instead of a cap. I admit that the 90 degree plug seem like they should be less secure, but I've never had a problem with them.

I second the suggestion to go for the thicker cable for long runs. It lays on the floor better. One thing that some people don't like about George L cable is that it is a bit stiffer than most cables. I find it important to wind it over/under so that it doesn't ket kinked up. Of course, in a pedalboard that doesn't apply.

11. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    should i also use those cables for my rig? (from the pre to the crossover, and from the crossover to the power amp) im using now non-brand little cables

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    dadodetres. how big is this order going to be when you're done?! LOL.

I've actually been unimpressed with George L's cables. I wired two pedalboards with no problem, then I did my own and it didn't work. Two faulty connectors. Took a while to figure out where the problem was exactly. But I got a refund.

Then I did one more pedalboard for someone. Another bad connector, so I gave up. ProCo cables for me. Or I have a good guy I know make them for me. But no more George L's.

13. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    I use them everywhere that calls for an unbalanced 1/4 inch connection.

14. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    lol,
    im actually oredering the boss pedalboard, the cables, and not yet decided if i should order a loop pedal or not....

going thru 5 boss pedals in bypass is not a good idea, right?

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    dadodetres, five bypassed Boss pedals will change your tone. You may want to seriously consider the looper.

16. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

ok, thats what i needed to know, now the question is toi get a BOSS LS-2 or a single looper with true bypass.......