Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cables have to Break-in

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by westland, Oct 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Given some recent threads and opinions, I thought this might be interesting (I'm a believer... well, maybe not)

2. Personally I like the sound of newer cables, they're brighter when they're new, like bass strings.

When my cables get older and start breaking in, I like to recharge them. I used to rub them on my cat, but he's dead now. So I use a little battery, hook it up to the cable overnight to allow the charge to flow and equalize throughout the cable. That spreads out the charge throughout the dielectric. Using a high voltage battery like a 9v forces the charge in faster, so you can "recharge" a cable overnight that took months to break in when subjected to the much lower voltages from your bass.

I have some low oxygen, high helium mixes for diving, I'm thinking of storing my cables in ziiplock bags filled with helium, that will leach out the oxygen in the copper and restore the oxygen free copper to factory specs as well.

Randy

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

LOL

Rob

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Nice pitch. Total BS, but A for effort.

5. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Well, I think it is complete hoakum. Beleive what you will, but remember Ginsu knives? They turned out to be 50 cent hardware store knives with clever marketing.

6. This should open up a can o' worms.... :p

I've met George Cardas. He's a friendly, smart, witty guy and does know a lot about audio. Personally, I don't buy the cable spiel above, but I actually don't think he's trying to hoodwink anyone. He really believes in what he's doing. Cardas binding posts and RCA jacks kick ass. Totally indestructible. They also make really good lead free solder. The only lead-free stuff that I've found to be useable.

My boss is hardcore audiophile and I'm hardcore skeptic, so we have some interesting discussions...;) :D

7. +1.......hoooooeeeeeeyyyyyy!!!!

Peace,

T

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Don't forget about the crystal alignment.

9. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    ....how about this from the Monster cables site?

10. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    ... and here is one for the most expensive cables I've ever heard of (for home theatre ... expensive because these guys have more money to burn?)

11. I didn't forget, I just couldn't figure out any valid way to restore the crystal alignment to its original condition. I'm talking about a valid scientificly verifyable method, I'm not falling for the snake oil psuedo-scientific crap so common in the high end cable business.

Randy

12. I love this line.... its like Evian's design philosophy being "To develop water that conveys wetness that feels as close as possible to actual rain. Or a balloon company that wants to develop balloons that come as close as possible to the theoretical gold standard, the "round thin rubber sphere filled with gas". A car company developing a car that comes as close as possible to conveying the feeling of an "automobile".

A cable is by definition a "direct connection".

Priceless.

Randy

13. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just put mine under a pyramid overnight.

14. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I know nothing of the scientific end of cables, but have monster pro, george l, spectraflex, and some extremely high end cables made by Joe Kubala(www.kubala-sosna.com). I notice a marked difference among the cables. George L, and Monster are very close, and as far as durability, George L's have a distinct advantage. I had to replace the monsters every 2 years. The Kubala, at around $300 for 10ft, are another world. This is most evident, when I tested the various cables with both a passive electric with a bartolini MMC with no pots into a clarus head and an EA VL108. However, when used with upright with a fishman full circle, the differences were blaring. In a nutshell: spetraflex is crap, the George L, are a great bargain-not quite a much low end as the monster, but still very punchy, and the Kubala, if you can find it, is like going from a pickup to a good mike on the upright. No snake oil, but actually aural proof.

15. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Sigh.

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    A personal account is not proof. That was discussed in the Evidence cable thread.

17. Evidence cables are crap anyway. The Placebo cables are clearly superior, and a great bargain if you find them on sale.

Randy

18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I don't know about that, but I know my super-custom Snakuil strap really brings out the mids in my sound. I guess I am going to call them and see if they can whip me up a cable to focus my highs.

19. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Please don't take my word for it, try ABing some cables yourself using an upright with a piezo pickup, and prove otherwise...

20. Don't bother, go with the Placebo. People can't believe how much better they believe the cables sound!

Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.