Cables (I don't know where else to post this)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nastyn8c, Feb 23, 2005.

1. nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I've been using Monster bass cables for a while now, and after spending $50 on one, it was hard to bring myself to buy another one. But it's time. I have realized that Monster is NOT durable (of the 5 monster cables I have owned this past 6 months, only 2 still work), and their only upside is their warranty. I want ideas. Please none of those $140 cables or anything like that.

Please don't make a suggestion without giving any reasoning.
  2. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I use Monster Jazz cables, I had a similar experience with Monster bass cables and I find that the Jazz cables are more durable. I also like Planet Waves cables. Pretty heavy duty and are less expensive than Monster cables. You also could make your own by buying the cable and connectors and soldering your own.
  3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've been lucky with monster cables... The planet waves cable are durable and reasonably priced. I've heard good things about the george 's but haven't used them
  4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I highly recommend doing a search in these forums because there has been much written about Monster Cables. I think much has been said in the amp forum, but I don't remember exactly.

Basically you are not alone. Their warranty works for them because people get sick of returning their cables and just give up.
  5. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Learn to make your own. I buy Canare GS-6 for about $0.50 per foot and Neutrik mono 1/4" male connectors for $2.75 each. Makes for a great sounding, cheap cable.

Dan K.
  6. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Wish I could remember where it is, but maybe someone else does. Within the last couple of days on a post in "Amps" someone posted the name of an outfit that was selling 8 gauge (!) speakon cables and 1/4 inch too, I think. I seem to recall the 3' speakon was about $40. Hope someone remembers it because I'd like to get some. Didn't have the good sense at the time to bookmark it.
  7. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Ditto on the Canare GS-6. I buy any pre-made cable using Canare and Neutrik jacks and they always sound fantastic.
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  9. I've got some whirlwind cables that are decades old and still in good shape.

It's very important to take care of your cables and wrap them up properly after each gig and protect the ends from damage.
  10. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    I bought an Evidence Audio cable a little while back and it's great.
  11. Ditto on what the others said about making your own. I just made a new one today and it took about 10 minutes.
  12. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I know a lot of you don't like them, but I've had great luck with the "entry-level" Monster cables. I have some of the Jazz cables as well, and I like them, but the molded S-100 cables have been durable and worry free for me for a long time. Also, they are priced competitively with other brands and still have the lifetime warrenty.
  13. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Just as I said yesterday I had no problems with monster cables. One breaks inside of my bass!! :crying:

I guess I'll be getting warranty work.
  14. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    I'm with James on this one. I've bought several speakon cables from these folks. The quality is exceptional.
  15. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

+1 on Canare, they have a very good rep as a hi-performance, value-priced cable for high-end audio and video applications.