Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cables needed for QSC power amp, BBE BMax and Acme B-4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PaulYeah, Apr 24, 2004.

1. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    I just got my preamp, power amp and rack delivered, and Acme should be shipping my B-4 cabinet in about a week. I could use some help determining the cables I'll need to hook everything up.

Also, is it worth the money to buy backup cables for everything?

And is there any significant difference in quality between standard and premium cables?

Thanks in advance,
    PaulYeah

2. You'll need a 1/4"-1/4" patch cable to run from the Bmax to the QSC and a Speakon cable wired on one end for "bridged" use (very simple to do- this is the end plugged into the QSC). If you custom ordered a Speakon-Speakon cable from Monster it'll run you about $50 and another $20 for a Studio-Link 1000 patch chord (this is what I run). Or you could make your own for around half the price. So, two cables running anywhere from $40-$70. Cool?

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Most good music stores can either build you a speakon to speakon speaker cable or have the parts for you to build it yourself.

The QSC owners manual (either supplied with your amp or from the QSC website) describes how to set the switches on the amp to bridge it (and how to wire the cable if you do it yourself).

There's lots of arguments regarding the sonic differences of standard vs. premium cables.
    I suggest buying whatever has a "no hassle, free replacement" lifetime warranty (Monster cable meets this criteria).

I keep a couple of back up instrument cables, but that's all.
    The interconnect between the pre and power amp should be safe (assuming it's just long enough to reach and you have your stuff in a rack case.
    My speaker cable is too rugged to be damaged easily and too short to be tripped over (aprox. one meter long).
    YMMV.

4. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    You do not need a bridge wired speakon cable for the QSC. When you set the dip switch to bridge mode it switches the output of channel one to 1+ 2+. I almost made this same mistake. I had the cable ordered, then noticed my mistake and had to change it. The guys at Procablesnsound are really great and changed it before it shipped.

5. I would recommend that you get the largest gauge and the shortest length speaker cord you can afford. 12 guage works just fine.

6. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    12AWG is what Procablesnsound uses, with genuine Speakon connectors.

7. I just want to clear up that the smaller gauge numbers indicate thicker cable. Get the thicker cable with the smaller number.

My experience has shown me that a 16 gauge 20ft cable can't produce a strong signal like a 12 gauge 3 ft one can.

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Just make sure the Speakon NL4FC connectors have the cable's positive side connected to 1+ (at amp end) to 1+ (at speaker end) and the cable's negative side connected to 2+ (at amp end) to 2+ (at speaker end), and everything should be cool (see caveat below). You don't have to label either end of the cable this way.

Caveat:
    My understanding is the Seakon NL4MP connector at the cab should have the 1- and 2+ jumpered so it works with normal stereo wiring or bridged wiring (you might want to double-check with your speaker cab manufacturer to make sure).
    If this is not the case with your cab's Speakon connector then you will have to wire the cab end of the cable positive side to 1+ and negative side to 1- and label the cable at one end so you will know which end is which.

9. atomic_turtle

atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    In order to run my QSC RMX1850 in bridged mono mode I needed to have a Speakon Cable with one of the Neutrik NL4FC conncetors wired to +1+2(amp end) and the other end wired +1-1(cabinet end), in addition to setting the dip switches on the back of the amp for bridged mono mode. Thats what my manual says and gives some pretty sweet diagrams too.

To the original poster just make sure you have the correct set-up for what ever cable you use. I made my own cable with two neutrik connectors and 12ga speaker cable, its easy to do. I use my B2r as my preamp for now and I use an XLR cable to go from my B2r to the Qsc Amp and that setup works fine for me.
    :bassist:

10. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Quick Question guys:

I'm running a Preamp(Aggie DB659)/Qsc Poweramp(Plx1602) setup much like many of you and I bridge my poweramp. Do I have to buy a special Speakon cable in order to run this setup "Bridged" to its peak efficency. I bought a speakon cable from a local store and it works in Bridged Mono mode, however I'm wondering if I had to get a special speakon to speakon that is "made for bridging". Thanks.

Poon

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I would check with the store you got it from as to which posts the cable is connected to at each connector.
    Refer to above posts to see if it is wired correctly.

12. IMHO the absolute BEST investment you can make is a Tara Labs power cable.... for about $150 or so it will VASTLY improve your sound. You can actually save a lot of money that way, even if you can only afford one, and still improve your sound:

Start with the Tara cable (which is 6' long). Cut it and splice the Tara plugs onto your power cable that came with your amp (that will help the quality of the power, and therefore the quality of the amp output) and them splice pieces of the Tara cable into any of the internal preamp wiring that you can reach. if you can manage to find room, consider replacing and wiring runs of less than 6" with 'pure' Tara cable. You'll still have some left, of course--maybe two feet--and if you cut that in half and splice it into your Speakons you'll be all set. Saves money on Monster cables and works better anyway.

But when you do this, be careful. The cable is carefully polished, and you don't want to mess up the polish or it can work hell with your frequency instability (scratches in the polish transfer the electron path to a new Planck frequency and your highs will sound squeaky). You also have to be careful about putting it too close to magnets, as the coating contains tiny balls filled with vacuum. Those balls can get charged (free electron radicals caused by the Planck drop I talked about before) and can discharge en masse and fry your capacitors...but so long as you avoid those two problems I can assure you it'll be the best $150 you ever spend. When you listen to your amp aftewards you will be SURE it was worth it.

13. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Was that supposed to be funny? :confused:

14. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    What does the 1+, 1-, 2+, 2- terminology represent? Is that positive and negative on the two channels?

PaulYeah

15. yup. QSC amp (Bob Lee) + TARA cable = funny. Get it? :D

16. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia

heheh :smug:

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    True confession: YOU GOT ME!

DANG!

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    It's the designation given the individual connection terminals inside a Neutrik Speakon connector.

Take a look at this document.

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That is not correct.

On the upper Speakon output connector, channel 1's output is always on 1+ and 1-, while channel 2's is always on 2+ and 2-. These are the same connections available on the output binding post connectors:

Speakon 1- = Channel 1 black (ground or return)
    Speakon 1+ = Channel 1 red (hot)
    Speakon 2+ = Channel 2 red (hot)
    Speakon 2- = Channel 2 black (ground or return)

Since bridged mono requires using the two channels' "hot" outputs, the Speakon plug on the cable has to be wired to 1+ and 2+.