Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cables of choice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by brianpfitz, Dec 29, 2004.

1. brianpfitz

brianpfitz

Dec 22, 2004
    Boston, Mass
    Before we begin, if a thread already exists on this topic in the FAQs or archives, please let me know and I'll go there first. (I looked but couldn't find anything.)

If a thread DOESN'T already exist, can you guys recommend instrument and/or connector cables for my new set-up (Deluxe P-Bass with Ampeg B-2R half stack)?

Much appreciated!

2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I am using Monster bass...

3. I'm finally happy with my Evidence Audio Lyric cables!

Kind regards,
    Beebebop,
    Beijing. :bassist:

4. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Monster Jazz cables, more heavy duty than monster bass and tend to hold up better.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  6. I tested a bunch - by ear mind you - and found Rapco to be the quietest of the lot for an off-the-shelf 1/4 phone to 1/4 phone. By quiet I mean no hum, hiss or other transient noises introduced into the signal path. I use Mogami shielded exclusively on my pedal board and between instruments/desk/computer - it's by far the best you can get.

7. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    At home I use Audioquest because they sound better than anything else I've tried.

Live I always use Spectraflex (Quads or Fastos) because they sound amazing and are incredibly durable.

I use short monster cables to patch pre's, poweramps and pedals together.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Moved, wrong forum.

9. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Another enthusiastic recommendation for the Evidence Audio Lyric instrument cable!

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    What do you all think about ProCo and Klotz?

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Monster cables get a bad rap, but I bought a Monster Bass cable back in 1996, gig every weekend with it as the main cable from my bass to the pedalboard, and I'm STILL using it.

I've definitely got my moneys worth from this one . . .

12. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    I have Bayou cables. They're nifty. :hyper:

13. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I've been using 20 ft. Armoured Cables. Sam Ash's prices are always screwed up on these cables... Right now they're selling them for $49.99 (most other places are selling them between $25 & $30), but I bought 8 of them for $9.99 each about a year ago from Sam Ash's website during another screw-up. They have a flexible stainless steel outer jacket (like the kind you see connecting the handsets on payphones) and Neutrik connectors.

EDIT: Don't know if this is true or not, but I just read on one of Sweetwater Sound's website reports the the cable used on the inside of these are George L's.

- Ugly.

14. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    +1 :)

15. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Here's my quick take. Every cable, to a greater or lesser extent, modifies the sound coming out of your bass, because all cables have some capacitance (I think that's the term for siphoning off some of the electrical charge). And, the more a particular cable siphons off, the more the treble end of the spectrum is depressed. Now we're not setting up a hi-fi here so our goal isn't to specifically try to totally authentically reproduce what's coming out of the bass. Rather, we're trying to make a satisfying sound come out of our amps (or the FOH). So, we want it to sound good with the combination of bass, cable, effects, pre, amp, and cabinet. Obviously, some of these have more effect on the tone than others. So, if you're happy with the way a particular cable sounds with your equipment, reliability is the only factor that counts.

I use Klotz. The reason I do so is because after listening, I find that they have as little effect on my tone as possible. That way, any changes in sound I want to make, I accomplish through EQ. Besides their neutrality, they seem to be rather stout. I formerly used Monster, both the Jazz and Bass cables, and found they definitely had a treble roll off effect on my sound.

Again, if what comes out is the sound you're looking for, no problem, and you have to love Monster's return policy. However, I chose to do my coloration in a different way.

16. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    The last cable I bought was a tweed AXL from a local store because all my other cables went out on me. I picked the AXL because it seemed more durable than the normal rubber cables and it has a lifetime warranty. One of the guitarists in my band got one quite awhile back and accidentally stepped on it while it was plugged into his guitar, pulling it pretty tight, and it quit working. The next day he took it back to the store and they replaced it free of charge. I only use it at home and practice, at shows I use my wireless.

17. CBI Ultimates.

18. I use LiveWire... they are nice, w/ gold connectors... and life time guarantee.

19. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I use GeorgeL for everything.

I should add...I use GeorgeL cable, but I solder Switchcraft and Neutrik plugs to it.