cables that get the most out of your bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by a e i o u, Nov 2, 2003.

1. I use this planet wave 24k gold cable, it is the thickness of 2 normal cables, for my speakers, because its supposed to be the best thing to do. But what about the intrument cable? Is it really worth the money to buy a planet wave or monster brand intrument cable that has the 24k gold metal part? I don't know if i should up grade. I use 30 foot cables so i can move around with the bass, so its alot of money, but is it worth it? I also notice fender makes a instrument where just the very tip of the metal part is gold, it that just as good as all gold rather than just the little tip?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The gold is only useful because it prevents corrosion, but if you use a cable regularly the plugs are "scraped" clean anyway.
    Also, due to the same effect, the gold plating at the connecting areas is gone after a while.

Usually all those superwonder cables are a waste of money.

Get decent cable and good plugs (e.g. Neutrik) and make your own cables.
  3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I didn't buy my Monster cable for the gold plating but for the warranty.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  6. Same with me, and I can exchange them while out on the road with any athorized dealer.

7. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i bought a really nice guitar center cord about 4 years ago when they were on sale. 20', cloth covered...and ive used that cord ever since. i got a d'aggario cord too and its lasted about the same amount of time. the key is coiling them properly and using them often. ive used monster cables before but i didnt like them. so...take care of ur cords and tey will last and sound good.
  8. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I got one of fenders super pro cables a while back. I seriously won't switch. The warranty is superb. The end are indestructible. While it's think, it's supple and easy to manage. There really is a difference in sound, and it's not psychological. It made behringer guitar amps sound better. But it is true, in a mix, you would never be able to tell.
  9. Planet Waves are placebo, same w\ all those "fancy" cables..the only good thing is that the warranty isn't b\s..besides, cables aren't meant to last a lifetime, they will break\short out\fail on you is as inevitable as anything else.

sure the planet wave can improve the sound in subtle ways, no one but you will notice that first off, and second off, they aren't more rugged or durable than any other cable, I learned that the hardway....
  10. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I actually use a Radio Shack cable that's the same as the Monster Cable that I got for $15.00 bucks just about 3 years ago and it is virtually idestructible.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That's the main reason that I like Monster. The no hassle, no questions asked exchange. I have only had to use it once. I have spent a lot of money over the past 23 years on cheap cables that lasted a few weeks or months and started shorting out. I'll never have to pay for a cable again.

As far as the Planet Waves cables go, they work great in all of my inexpensive basses, but short out and crackle in my nice basses. Somebody stole my Planet Waves cable. Good riddance. That's the only thing I have ever had stolen that I don't want back.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Interesting. What kind of warranty does the Radio Shack cable have?
  13. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have one of these also. I turned it into a custom xlr-1/4" cable for a guitar I rebuilt. The thing is great. It has the fabric wrap, but with another clear layer of plastic. Very good stuff.
  14. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    I like the Fender 'California' cable's. They are more than Decient and are cheap as hell, they even sound better than my 'other' cables (24k gold) and they are like $10. But I think they only come in 10' size...