Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cables with no memory

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jun 29, 2002.

1. I have two 15-foot instrument cables, a ProCo Lifelines one with black rubber insulation and a Prism one with a woven shell over the black rubber.

Both have a serious problem: they like to twist up on themselves.

I like to walk around when I'm practicing, especially repetitive drills, so having my cable twist up on itself and go from an effective length of 12 to 4 feet in about 30 minutes is not fun.

Are those "armored" cables any better?

2. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Why don't you try one of those already twisted "phone-wire" cables?

3. The only one of those I can find is the Radio Shack one. I have one of those and I can hear all of my highs being sucked away by it, so it is not in my signal chain. In fact, I couldn't tell you where I put it.

4. never had the problem with my home-made cables..

the trick is not to fold them.. most ready-to go cables are packed in a wrapping.. this causes the cables to keep the folding in..

make 30cm loops of your cable and it's all ok..

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    armoured cables dont do that, they also tend to RULE. Not many people use them, but i have a few, and i really really like them. Theyre super durable, look cool, and sound amazing. If you have the chance to pick one up do so, cuz i imagine theyd solve your problem.

6. Where would I go about getting an armored cable? I remember the ads for them in BP, but I can't find any mention of them on Harmony Central or Google.

7. I agree that the armoured cableage looks wicked cool, but I'm always slightly suspicious of a firm which isn't up-front with its prices... "Well sir, if you have to ask the price you probably can't afford it..."

I expect they don't want to spoil things for their dealers, and I don't want to resurrect the old argument about whether or not we should all be using oxgen-free-copper, helically-wound, multi-conductor, cables cut to some multiple of the wavelength-of-the-average-of-the-frequencies likely to be encountered in the course of a gig. ;)

- Wil

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    peter if u really have problems getting them, i get them pretty darn cheap, cheaper than most places. I cant remeber the exact price but ill check on it. If it comes down to it, id have no problem picking sum up for u and mailing them to u, a cable cant be too expensive to ship. Ill check the price monday and hit me up if u want one, or want any more info on them.