Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cables

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Benton, Jun 9, 2004.

1. I can't seem to find a good sounding reliable cable.

Last night my new Gig Lines cable failed. This is far from the first cable that has failed, they always go on the gig and at the worst times. I always carry a spare of each cable type and have avoided dissaster. It is just a real pain in the a.. total buzz kill.

I have a F..... Vintage Voltage that had a life time waranty. I've returned the first because the tips came out. I got a new one and last month it failed. I tried to return it again but it turns out they arn't dealers any more. I don't feel like taking a trip for a cable but I'm patient,I have a "Lifetime". The F..... cable did sound better than a variety of others. It made a sonic difference maybe the oxegen free wire.

This might not be the right furum but I have been a longtime reader and occasional poster. I know us fellow bass players can all relate.

I want a good sounding tough/reliable cable that is reasonably priced.

Peace
    Benton

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

ProCo's have stood up to all the abuse I given and they aren't crazy expensive - http://www.procosound.com/prod04.htm

DiMarzio also makes cables that work just fine for me and pass the "falling cymbal" test, (they don't get cut by a falling cymbal).

3. MMMM Kevlar

You have falling Cymbals I have what I call the step and twist. Step on the cord then twist.

They look real nice.

Peace ,
    Benton

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I also like ProCo cables. They're well made and have good wire and connectors and are reasonably priced. Same with Horizon and Whirlwind. And they all have a lifetime warranty, but I've never had to use it.

And I have a bunch of the Guitar Center $9.99 cables, too. I've never had a problem with those, either.

5. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    hmmm... I've had a number of failures with the Guitar Center Live-Wire cables, as well as with Fender cables and one Monster. Right now I'm using PlanetWaves and ProCo and they've been doing well. The problem with Monster cables is that some of them aren't flexible and the surrounds eventually rip apart. I don't know if that applies to all Monster instrument cables though, it was just a random cheap one that I had. The Fender cable was a friend's, he had two that stopped working. The Live-Wires were what I used to use quite a bit... they would all tend to fall apart, usually at the solder joint or the casing on the 1/4" would come loose. We do abuse our cables quite a bit though.

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    I was about to say that my Live-Wire performance cable for ~$15 seemed to be holding up quite well to the abuse i've thrown at it, but i guess ericman's post negates it. they do seem to be good values to me because they seem a bit thicker and beefier than others in the price range, but maybe i'll beef up the solder joints on mine tonight.

7. I've been using Carvin cables, guitar and speaker for 3 years with no problems. I'm not sure if they're manufactured by Carvin or if they purchase them from another company. So far so good.

8. tormos

tormos

Jun 5, 2004
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do you need a different quality of cable to connect your bass to your head than what you need to connect your head to your cab?

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    YIKE! You need a different type of cable for each. Never, ever, use an instrument cable to connect your amp to your speaker cab. This almost surely will cause damage to your amp, when the wire melts and shorts your output. You can get away with using a speaker cable for instrument to amp, but you could get a sucky sound due to the lack of shielding.

Instrument cables typically are light-gauge wire (22-24 ga) inside a braided or foil shield. They are designed for very low current at about a volt or so. Speaker cables, on the other hand, carry high current at up to a hundred volts or so. They are seldom shielded and, in a pinch, even regular electrical zip cord will work for speakers. Some speaker cables are as light as 16 ga, but 14 is better, and 12 is better. Ten-gauge is mondo, and starting to get into overkill, except for long runs. That's why I use 8-gauge Guardian Fat Max speaker cables. Overkill rules.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Speaking of speaker cables (so to speak)...

I bought a pair of three foot banana to 1/4" speaker cables (12 ga) from TB sponsor Procables'n'Sound. At close to forty bucks (including shipping) they were kind of spendy, but they are much nicer than the ones I'd cobbled together myself. Overall it was a good shopping experience.