Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cables

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, May 19, 2001.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    What is a good instrument cable that isn't to expensive. I need some cables that are high sound quality, but don't cost alot. All I can get locally are peavey cables, or $40 something or anothers. Are the peavey cables good enough?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

www.georgels.com/stcab.html is your best bet, IMO. Guitar Player mag voted them the best for sound clarity and Bass Player mag thinks they're pretty darn good for the relatively low price. They just came out with a new red cable that is supposed to have something special about it, but the .225 cable is what I like. They ship them to you very fast, IME.

www.carvin.com also has instrument cable in "Mic Stands and Cables." Their Steve Vai signature is said to be excellent by electrical techs and they don't cost a fortune. I haven't used them, but that's because I read the compliments about them from experts after I had all the cables I needed.

3. on a similar subject....

does it matter whether you use stereo or mono cables? I´ve always used mono cables, but would it change anything?

I understand that it might change something with a stereo pup and stereo rig.... but does it change anything on a regular combo with 2 passive J´s?

4. rickbass

The use of the term "stereo" isn't used in reference to instrument cable here in the USA. Instrument cable is just referred to as "Instrument cable", as you'll see at the two links I included in my last post for you to click on.

Stereo signal processing is something that is done by the amp design, like my Carvins have stereo capability...or if you had a Rickenbacker bass with "Rick-O-Sound" (stereo).

5. ok... but if you have, for example, stereo piezo pickups, would it sound the same with a regular "instrument cable"? (I´m listening to Vic´s Show Of Hands)

6. Not altogether sure whether this'll help or confuse the issue.....but here goes.

The concept of stereo is two quite separate audio channels: the left and right chan's on your hifi system, for example. Those two audio signals are processed quite independently of each other form start to finish.

To get two signals from your bass, for example, to the amp you will need a shielded cable with two inner cores. That's the same sort of cable that a balanced mic (or any balanced audio line) uses. On the bass there might be two separate output jacks or one stereo jack. Ricks and the Sheenan Yamaha uses the two jacks method as I understand it.

To visualise it in your mind's eye, you could consider the (say) neck pup being fed down one core of the shielded cable whilst the bridge pup goes down the other inner core. That is, as I think you will appreciate, two separate audio channels. Each chan then gets fed to a different input on the amp. Processing can be as required by the bass player. If the amp is a stereo setup then the signal processing would be separate from pup to speaker: if it's a mono amp then the two chan's from the bass get mixed at some point.

Putting two stereo pups down a single core shielded cable doesn't make the setup stereo, of course. It's still a mono bass.

Helped or further confused???

Best regards.

Rockin John

7. rickbass

You'd have to have one hell of a sound tech to get that sound. The recording has a track of the fretboard panned to one side of the stereo, and the plucking hand panned to the other :eek: !!!! If anyone could get that live by just buying the right gear, we'd all have orders in right now.

So, no, it wouldn't sound the same, IMO. That was created for that recording. Wooten just uses instrument cable, same as the rest of us mortals.

8. rockin_john: helped... :) I was always wondering why in earth's name sheehan had two outputs, thanx.. :) I know how stereo works, in general, I just wasn´t sure about it in instruments...

rickbass: thanx, now I know everything I could ever wanna know!

:D

9. No problem, The Bass.

If you go to the Rickenbacker WWW there are loads of circuit diagrams of their basses etc. You might then be able to get an even better appreciation of a "stereo" setup from the point of view of the bass itself.

And, whilst I'm on, how exactly do you get to put the icons in the text as you've done above?

(Err, didn't mean to go on too much about stereo in general).

Rockin John

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden