Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cables

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JBROWN, Oct 4, 2005.

1. JBROWN

JBROWN

Oct 4, 2005
    I need to buy a few 25-30 foot instrument cables for larger stages. Should I drop the cash and go with a few of the Monster cables? Do they perform better than cheaper cables as their ads say they do or does it not matter that much?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Some will say yes, I personally can barely hear the difference, especially live. I prefer to avoid Monster because they're stiff and seldom lie flat on the stage, so I get something softer and more pliable.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I buy the cheapest cables I can find. Quite honestly, I think all this talk about cables is pure voodoo, and though there are a lot of people who think it makes a huge difference, I'm not one of them. I will say, though, that after about 20 feet, there is a quality dropoff, but unless you're recording in a studio, it probably won't make much of a difference to the sound. A lot of audiophile stuff gets washed out in a live situation and ends up not mattering so much.

4. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I tend to disagree with this, I find good cables do sound better. However, to my ear, it seems the difference is more noticeable with active basses. So if you're playing passive, it might not seem worht it. And I have to agree that the live situation thing will kinda kill the purpose expensive cables for cleaner sound.

5. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Monster Cables are ridiculously hyped and over-priced.

Bayou Cables are quality cables made by a bass player.

Tom

6. I'd tend to disagree with that, a passive bass would be more sensitive to capacitance in the cheaper cables cause its higher impedance. Active bass would tolerate that better.

Maybe the active basses you've had were more "trebly" so losses were more noticeable?

Randy

7. I personally like ProCo cables. I've never had a problem with them, and their warranty is "any excuse even abuse". Can't go wrong with that.

Disclaimer: I do not work for ProCo, I just like their cables. And they are local for me.

8. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    If it were me. I would go and find some Canare GS6 and some 1/4" jacks of whatever brand suites your fancy then I would solder them up and pat myself on the back for a damn fine cable and for spending a fraction of what a pre made coble of lesser quality would cost.

I don't get too heated about how a cable "sounds", what is important to me is durability and how well it fights off noise. I love Canare for all cable usage.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    True that.

10. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    1 vote for Evidence Audio, excellent quality and service...the best! :bag:

11. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I own a monster, not because I think it sounds any better, but because I know I can take it to plenty of places that will just replace it for me, no questions asked. It's just nice to have that reassurance.

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    I recently bought a bunch of nice EWI cables at a great price from www.audiopile.net. I still have my stash of various GC promo, Horizon, ProCo, and WhirlWind cables. None have gone bad, but a couple have been "borrowed."

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I generally find that the more I pay for things, the better I think they sound.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Construction and durability are more important than sound. I buy good quality cables like ProCo Excellines, and have never had one go bad on me. I also have some Mogamis that I use personally, just in case the sound quality thing is not voodoo, although I think it is.

15. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I've A/Bed garden variety cables like Hog cables and Monster cables. I hear quite a difference. The Monster had more punch and low end than the other cables.

This may make a difference though: I play Roscoe basses with Swamp Ash bodies and Demeter preamps. I plug into an Eden Metro combo with a 25" cab underneath. I mention this because I am usually looking for a little more low end. With the Monster Cables, I get just a considerable difference in low end.

Down side to Monsters: 1. I really feel theyare way overpriced and will never buy them again. The reason for this is that I think I can get another cable with similar characteristics for much less money. 2. They coil up too much and get in the way on stage because they are stiff. 3. The connectors are just slightly larger in diameter which causes them to feel like they are stuck in the input on your amp. I'm afraid that it may damage my input in the long run. (I may be wrong on this point about the damage, but they are just minimally wider).

I want to check out Bayou Cables. The owner is a TBer, Butch Ammons, who spoke with me on the phone one morning for a good 20 minutes. He has a no nonscence approach to instrument cables. He has gotten very good reviews for his cables from guys here who have used Monsters, Planet Waves and George L cables.

16. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Checked out Bayou. Those are almost the exact cables that I make for myself, they guy knows whats up. Pretty good prices. Of course doing it yourself is always cheaper.

17. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Maybe? :help:

I based my opinion on the sound difference I heard with my Godin A4 (it's the semi-acoustic model), which sounded much better (cleaner, less muddy, I thought) with my Planet Waves than with my older cheaper cable, while I didn't hear much of a difference with my cheapo P-bass copy.

18. planet waves here. I notice a huge difference in them, they sound great and are just overall my personal favourite.

Odd I tend not to see many people here using them

19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Learn to make your own. It's easy.
    Get some decent cable in the length you need.
    Buy 2 good plugs, e.g. Neutrik or Switchcraft.
    Buy a soldering iron and some solder at Radio Shack or what else you have.
    Solder away! Lots of instructions on the web.

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    The low end is really where one cable or another will make the least difference. The high end, due to shunt capacitance between the center conductor and the shield, will vary from one cable to another, and mostly with basses that have a significant source impedance; active basses therefore will be less affected. Hopefully, with most cables and basses, the frequency at which the highs start to roll off is high enough to be fairly inconsequential.