Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cabnet parts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimmy ray, Feb 26, 2006.

1. hi, i've got a DIY cab in the starting phases of construction, and i'm wondering what type of 1/4" jack is proper to use on the cabnet, and where can i find one online? thanks guys

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    This depends. Will you be needing a crossover? Why not add a speakon connector on there as well?

3. no crossovers, and its just a simple 1x15 cab. As for the speakon, both of my amps run on 1/4" only, so unless i get another GAS attack, the speakons are something i like, but just dont have the compatablility for right now.

4. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I wish I could build a nice 115 that costs less but similar quality than if I bought one.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.partsexpress.com, and put the speakon in now while you can do so easily rather than later when you'll have to open it up and wish you'd done it right in the first place.

6. Thanks for the tip! I was thinking same thing after i wrote my last post. But is there any specific type of 1/4" jack that i should get for my cab, or will a regular one from radio shack work?

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I prefer Neutrik, specifically the locking type, as it mounts without need for a plate. Radio Shack hardware is junk.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Parts Express has all sorts of pre-punched input cups...I second the suggestion of adding a Speakon (or two) now...especially if someone else is making the mounting plate (the mounting screws for Speakon jacks are very close to the body so it's hard to do a good DIY job).

9. thanks for the replies guys, is there any max. power ratings on either the 1/4" or speakon that i should look for or anything similar to that? the amps i'm using are 150W and 50W each.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    There's a Speakon jack with a big flange that allows for direct mounting into a hole in the cabinet. Power rating is not the big deal. The attraction of the Speakon is that both terminals are shrouded, and do not short against one another when the plug is pulled out.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    At these wattages, pretty much any 1/4 jack will be fine. Speakons are beter in a lot of ways, but under 1000W there's no difference in performance between the two.