Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabon Fiber Bows, Opinions and Suggestions

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Heli Bass, Jun 13, 2003.

1. I went to Hammond Ashley in Seattle Tuesday and auditioned several wooden German bows. I have the cheap French Glassel bow that came with my bass and have been doing some very minor arco with the bluegrass band I play with. During the tryout process the salesman at HA mentioned using a Carbon fiber bow for the stuff I am trying to do as it is a sturdier bow. (seemed like a great idea when playing at jams, and in the open, etc)Looking through catalogs and online etc, the step up models seem to range from approx $300 to $800.

Any experience with them? Any opinions or suggestions?

Thanks
    Keith

2. Aroneng

Aroneng Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    So did you try one out? I believe HA deals with Carbow. I recently inquired about one with them. They supposedly can be very good as compared to more expensive pernambuco bows. To each his own.

3. Gabe

Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I've used them on cello. Good balance, nice feel, and indestructable. I still think I get a better feel with pernambuco (not sure why) dollar for dollar I'm a big carbon fiber fan. Double Bassist magazine ran a nice article on some of the more expensive ones. They were pretty but more expensive than the thing I used.

4. I've played a couple. I think they can be better than most brazilwood bows, but most of the lower end pernambuco sticks that I've played are better imo. The carbon fiber just doesn't feel as alive as a good wood bow. I think one might make a good second bow or something, but I wouldn't really want it to be my only bow.

5. Aroneng;

No; I didn't try them out. He made the comment as I was packing up my Bass. I will go back and try them out. An aquaintence that rehairs and makes bows made me a good deal on a student wood german bow, so I am going to start with it.
    I couldn't tell the difference between the $350 and the $700 bows that I tried. (being a newbie is a pain some times) I figure that a graphite bow in the mid hundreds should be a good bow to get started with (especially considering the cheap fiberglass alternatives) and very durable given the environment I play in. It should be a good second bow if I get good enough to feel the difference in a better bow.

Any other comments?

Blessings
    Keith

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I use a Grunberger, a carbon fiber bow that HA sells for about $850. It's a really nice bow, very stable - too bad I suck.

7. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a grunberger too, he designed the carbow stuff, so they are very similar. I have a beautiful pernambuco grunberger, and I can say that they compare the pernambuco feels much better, more alive, but both work well, but I got the carbon one to play jazz gigs. It is much better than all brazilwood bows I have tried. But is was more than $800. To get into a comparable wood bow, I might expect to pay $1,200. If you are just starting, and play more bluegrass than solos or symphony stuff, I would suggest you find an ok brazilwood bow, I have heard stories about the cheaper carbon bows falling apart. Ask about guarantees.