Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cabrewireing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emielow, Jan 22, 2004.

1. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    hello,

i'm planning to buy a hartke 410b xl cab, it's 8 ohm, can i rewire it to a 4 ohm??

2. most likely, the individual drivers are 8 ohm with two parallel drivers in series with another parallel pair of drivers, (or 2 driveres in series wired in parallel with another series wired pair)thus giving you an 8ohm total. If you were to wire all 4 drivers in parallel, you would have a 2 ohm load. All four drivers in series would be 32 ohms. so...no, you can't rewire that cab to be 4 ohms without replacing your drivers. It would be better to look for a 4 ohm cab.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Danger Will Robinson! If you play a 5 string, I'd highly recommend getting a different cab. I've blown out every Hartke speaker I've ever played with a 5 string. Usually all it takes is one good "thump" on the low B. Just sharing my experience...

4. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    what head did you use??

but i have a fourstring, and slappin' alot

5. I agree with whatsinaname regarding the rewiring and resulting impedances. Don't rewire, just leave it at 8 ohms.

I don't agree that a 5 string 'blows' Hartke drivers, I have seen too many local musicians who gig with a 5-string, every weekend, for years and years and love their Hartke cabinets. The problem is either extreme eq settings, overpowering the cab, or clipping the amp. You can blow drivers in any cab by abusing it. not trying to be mean or point fingers, just giving my take on the scene. :)

6. Why oh why does this keep popping up? Where do people hear that they can rewire a cab to go from 8 to 4, or vice versa?

Whatsinaname is entirely correct. Buy another cab, or replace all four drivers...you can rewire it to get 2 or 32, but not 4.