1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cabronita mod?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Owen Bacon, Oct 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Owen Bacon

Owen Bacon

Jul 27, 2015
    Oregon
    So Recently the fender cabronita precision has caught my eye. Its a cool looking and sounding bass. But in my opinion, it has too much low end. Do you think i could mod it to have a j pickup in the bridge position? Its worth saying that it is a rear rout, and i have limited modding experience.

Or if i want to be really saucy, move the fideltron up so that its touching then neck and add some pj pups where it once was?

2. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    Not worth it IMO. The Cabronita has slightly more low end compared to a regular PBass but you can easily deal with that eq'ing from your amp or some stompbox preamp. It has plenty of mids too.

3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Worth it if you can afford to have it properly done. Routing for a new pickup when you don't have a pickguard to hide the route is a task to be taken by someone with real woodworking skills or a luthier. That said, if you have the cash there's not much reason not too. Folks add J's to P's all the time, why not add it to a Cab?

One other option would be to put a dual coil pickup in there and wire it for a coil tap to give it a slightly less deep option.

Lastly, if the stock Cab pickup is a 4 wire, you could just wire it for coil tap. If you wanted to go crazy, you could use a 3 position switch for Series (normal), Parallel and single coil. There's some folks in the "Cabronita club" topic that could probably tell you if this is possible.

4. Owen Bacon

Owen Bacon

Jul 27, 2015
    Oregon
    Thanks for the input. I will check out that forum.

5. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    You're welcome!

One additional option could be to have it routed for another Gretch-style humbucker in the bridge position. Would look something like the Cabronita tele, and you wouldn't have the somewhat visually jarring look of the narrow chrome pup in the mid position and the long-skinny J in the bridge.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

6. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin

Jul 31, 2014
    Germany
    BassBuzzRS, 2saddleslab and xaxxat like this.
  7. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    I went the other way, adding the Fidelitron to a J clone. So, you could do it, but honestly, I think it sounds better as with the Fidelitron solo. YMMV.

Attached Files:

8. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Don't try to solve an EQ issue by cutting holes in your bass.

Axstar, Doctor J and Owen Bacon like this.
  9. Owen Bacon

Owen Bacon

Jul 27, 2015
    Oregon
    nice bass. is that a custom paint job?

10. Owen Bacon

Owen Bacon

Jul 27, 2015
    Oregon
    i might do that to the squier jazz i have right now. my idea is that ill put its so that its touching the neck, and then add a switch to switch between the fidel and the jazz pups. The thing is, i dont have the money or skills to do that yet:laugh:. So maybe someday.

11. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    Someday I'll source an Epiphone sidewinder for the bridge position. I can't use a router, either, so I'll just grind away at it with a forstner bit til it fits.

12. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    Would you not just end up with a regular PJ with an unusable third pickup there for no reason? If the Cab pickup is too bassy for your tastes in the middle position why would you want it closer to the neck? It doesn't sound like the Cab is really the bass you want if simply EQing the surplus low end out isn't enough for you.

Mr_Martin likes this.
  13. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin

Jul 31, 2014
    Germany
    No, i sanded the bass and sraypainted it.
    DIY :)

14. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin

Jul 31, 2014
    Germany

Yes you can, i modded my Cabro yesterday, the pots have no function.
    I wired both pickups direct to the output jack:

CABRO_NEW.

Owen Bacon likes this.
  15. Owen Bacon

Owen Bacon

Jul 27, 2015
    Oregon
    ohhh does it sound good?

16. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin

Jul 31, 2014
    Germany
    Yes! Much more punch and attack.
    Something between a fat Jazz Bass and a Musicman.

17. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin

Jul 31, 2014
    Germany
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    xrockstrongox and StreetScenes like this.
  18. Owen Bacon

Owen Bacon

Jul 27, 2015
    Oregon
    That sounds really good, the humbucker combined with the j growl is awesome. i might just do that when i get a cab.