Cabs (and amps)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Oct 27, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I'm looking to make a new purchase, nothing spectacular just a budget head and cab to do my bass justice. I think ive found my head, the behringer BX4500, the price is right and its good quality. However, there is also the GK backline 600, roughly the same price only i havent tried it. How do the two compare? Are there any other heads for about that price that are worth looking at?

Now, this part of my question is more important. I need a cab to do my amp justice, so what should i look at/for? I would prefer a better quality 8 ohm over a poorer quality 4 ohm, that way i can get another cab later. I also would prefer Solid state, for now at least. What are some good budget cabs, and more importantly, what are some things to look for in a cab?

I play a G&L L-2000 tribute, and i like to play rock/metal

2. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
  3. Sojourner

Sojourner Supporting Member

You're going to need an overdrive or something like a Sansamp BDDI if you want any sort of grungy, gritty sound with that head...seeing as you play rock/metal I'd think you might. The Behringer heads are a STEAL as far as dollar/watt value (I have one for sale myself), but one thing about them is it's pretty much impossible to get them to overdrive at all. That can be a plus for some people, depending on the style they're playing.

As far as cabs, I'd look for a nice punchy 4x10 cab (Avatar, Ampeg?) or maybe a 2x10 and 1x15, depending on your budget. Some of the oddly equipped cabs like a 8x8 or 6x10 or something might fit you well, too. I've got an Ampeg SVT806 that's eight 6.5" drivers that I love for that style of music, but I don't need it now with an 8x10. Would fit that amp nicely, but you're in Canada, so shipping could be a royal pain for you. Something along those lines would be a good place to look.
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I would recommend strongly against anything Berhinger. My guitarist had a Berhinger amp for about 3 weeks before it crapped out. That said, it has been rumored that their new line is made in a different factory so I'm not so sure. Worth checking out definately is an Avatar and Ashdown cab and head special deal. Its quite a good sounding head, and the cabs are gread bang for the buck. For rock, I would not go GK.
  5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

That's a minority opinion if I ever heard one! Look at GK's list of endorsers!

Click here!

6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Hmmm, well ive been told that the problem with behringer is that it either craps out within a month or last as long as it should. That being said. ive been told the BX3000/4500 are better than behringer standard, plus i do like the 4500.

The avatars and ashdown's i looked at were expensive, what are some of there more modestly priced models?