1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

cabs and cashishe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grinx, Mar 24, 2003.

1. grinx

grinx Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    i just sold a carvin rig (pb500 amp, 2x10 & 15 cab). got tired of the backache and the accord 2dr will only hold so much.

went to a swr wm12 and an f1x preamp

i want to put together a large system again. i know i want a qsc power amp (any other recommendations?).

my question is, been looking at EA stuff that you all drool over. obviously, they are very expensive. i went to their website, the cabs looked kinda plastic-y and they had no stacking corners. i noticed their spl was way high compared to swr workingman's cabs (por ejemplo).

are they REALLY worth the money?? i mean, $600 for a 10in speaker cab, compared to the swr wm10 cab for $200?

thanks all, i'm new here, been playing for 18 years, opened up for some biggies (after their prime, of course) but never 'made it'. main axe is a 96 carvin lb70. check the sig to sample the band.

2. I'm no old-timer but I've found that if you tweak 'em right and/or are using a bass with lots of midrange snap (for example, my 4-string MM-style fretless FBB), a pair of Aguilar GS112s can get you a long way. They like a lot of power, though, so a QSC PLX1602 wouldn't be a bad idea.