Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cabs and cashishe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grinx, Mar 24, 2003.

1. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    i just sold a carvin rig (pb500 amp, 2x10 & 15 cab). got tired of the backache and the accord 2dr will only hold so much.

went to a swr wm12 and an f1x preamp

i want to put together a large system again. i know i want a qsc power amp (any other recommendations?).

my question is, been looking at EA stuff that you all drool over. obviously, they are very expensive. i went to their website, the cabs looked kinda plastic-y and they had no stacking corners. i noticed their spl was way high compared to swr workingman's cabs (por ejemplo).

are they REALLY worth the money?? i mean, $600 for a 10in speaker cab, compared to the swr wm10 cab for $200?

thanks all, i'm new here, been playing for 18 years, opened up for some biggies (after their prime, of course) but never 'made it'. main axe is a 96 carvin lb70. check the sig to sample the band.

2. I'm no old-timer but I've found that if you tweak 'em right and/or are using a bass with lots of midrange snap (for example, my 4-string MM-style fretless FBB), a pair of Aguilar GS112s can get you a long way. They like a lot of power, though, so a QSC PLX1602 wouldn't be a bad idea.