Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabs and Combos?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phunkjam, Feb 17, 2001.

1. Hey all,
    I was just wondering, if you have a cab, can you hook it up to a combo? I know you generally buy separate heads and stuff for cabs, but this intrigued me. Thanks a lot.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If the combo has a "speaker out" jack, yes. Otherwise you'd have to go through the "line out" jack, via a separate power amp to the other cabinet.

3. Alright, here's another question. Can you hook a combo up to a cab? Sorry, I feel like the riddler.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Hmmm... [​IMG]
    You mean like only using the amp part of the combo and using other speakers than the combo's built-in one(s)?

I think it's the same answer to that.

5. Stan

Stan

Feb 12, 2001
    Still confused; I have an external speaker jack on my combo amp, if I connect an another cab to my combo, will the speaker in my combo be disabled?

6. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    It souldn't be disabled. Both speakers (combo and cab) should be powered by the combo's amp.

7. Stan

Stan

Feb 12, 2001
    Thanks for the quick reply! Now for the next step; what would anyone recommend for an ext. cab. for a Crate BX 100 combo? I was thinking of a 2X10 for a good all around basic set-up. I'm just learning to play. I grew up with the old stuff in the 60's & 70's.
    All suggestions are most welcome as well as any personal preferences. Thanks to all in advance.

8. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    The Crate BX-100's external jack is a SERIES speaker jack, not a standard parallel one. It has been my experience that whatever speakers you connect to it get very little power going to them, with the bulk of the power still going to the internal speaker. I've been told that it's really meant to just be a feature so that you could add a stage monitor for yourself, however a 2x10 cabinent might work well - especially one with a tweeter since the BX-100 has those two really high EQ sliders (8kHz and 16kHz).

What I'm trying to say is that adding an extension cab to the BX-100 will not result in any huge volume gain. When I hooked up another 15, I didn't really get a volume gain at all, however the low end was a little more fuller. Try the setup out before you buy it to see if it's what you're looking for. Since the speaker jack is a series jack, the impedance of your extension speaker doesn't really matter, however you might want to keep it as low as possible so that you are getting the most volume possible.