1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cabs Are Not Digging the B String!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SecretCityGuy, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, because of a very nice thread here on TB and that I was getting back into playing bass. I was needing some cabs. Well there is not much available in my area period. Even the GC here bites the wang! So I bought these SVT210AV's. Well I will admit, they will rip ones head off using the E-G string, but they just do not like that B string at all! So I have two thoughts, either go on a quest for a used 4 ohm 15 cab or a pair of 8 ohm 15's or 12's. Or just see if I can find what better 10's that I can put in these cabs that will not crash with the B string.

I was going to do some trading @ GC today, but when they trid to lie to me as to what the value was on the bass, I pretty much told them to stick it up their arse! Esp after the guy was trying to tell me, that the other guys said to try not to insult me and then turn around and insult me!

So suggestions would be good, funds are kinda lite right now. Oh and the amp is a TH500 that I am using. Maybe I should sell it all and start over!

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    changing out the drivers is not really a good plan. You would have to model the cabinets and try to identify a driver that will work well in them. That's not a simple task. Better would be to go and try different cabinets until you find one that works for you.

3. Get the f-deck hpf, cut those pesky 5 string fundamental frequencies and prepare to be amazed. Meantime see how much low eq you can take out without gutting your sound, turn off any low boost switches.

4. Those 210AV's are medium duty cabs at best.

5. bertthebassist

bertthebassist Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Bethlehem, PA
    I can appreciate your pain. I also live in an area where they sell "toys" instead of serious bass equipment. 100 watt combos cannot compete with drums. I also have been searching for a set up which can handle the B string. I am also hoping to find something light and made in the USA. This is what I found so far: I have found the Eden and some Genz Benz to have a decent bottom. DNA (made by the man who created Eden) and Acme are options I am planning on testing soon. Euphonic Audio and Epifani are very clean, but don't have the "vibrate the beer bottles off the table" bottom that I like. Gallien Kruger was too bright for me. A used Eden or Mesa may fit your need.
    Good luck

6. I have seen that F-deck mentioned before. And I do know that they appear to be somewhat medum duty, when playing out, there will be FOH support. I guess for now, I will have to live with it.

As for changing out speakers, I have expectations that could could be long trail to cover to figure out if it would be worth it to improve the potentcy of the cabs. They do seem to be well built cabs, I am just wondering if the speakers were the rignt choice. I wonder about putting some Fatails in it and take those comrade built Eminence speakers out of the cabs.

7. If you can find one used and have the cash for it, three words:

Mesa Boogie 410.

8. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    My advice: hang onto that Aggie TH500.

There are threads about the Baer ML112 and Glasstone Li'l G 212 cabs. I own both, and both do a great job on the B string. Different tone characters, so consult the threads.

They ain't the cheapest cabs around, no--but they are excellent cabs IMO, IME.

9. Well I can say this, if I am to buy another cab, it will have 12's or 15's in it. Just don't think I will buy any other cabs that have tens in them.

10. I wouldn't write off 10s completely. The Hartke 4.5XL is known for having a very solid low end as well as being very heavy.

11. I tested a 4.5 XL today, man I unhooked it just about as fast as I had hooked up to the amp. I was running everything on the amp nutral and the drive completely off.

Yeah, I hear ya EWO, but I am wondering in the back of my head if just maybe the TH500 is the right amp for me.

12. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Aguilar TH heads do put out a lot of low end at higher volumes(helps if you have a high pass filter). I've played a lot of gigs on just one of those SVT210AV cabs with a 5 string and never had a problem.

13. I presume your speaking of the F-Deck device.

14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Take a look at the fearful and fearless lines from greenboy. The f-deck is also discussed on his forums.

15. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    That didn't take long, ;)

If you're looking to buy something locally, the Ampeg HLF series covers substantially more low end than the 210s you purchased. The Hartke hybrids also sound pretty good. If you have access to a Guitar Center, you also might want to consider MarkBass cabs.

the f-deck HPF is a great thing. It will do absolutely nothing for you in this particular situation, but it's a great thing. ;)

16. Guy,

I would like to know more about the F-Deck for sure. As for the MarkBass, I did try the 151 RJ and the 151P today, sounded pretty good, but as for Guitar Center, the lyin "B"s can kiss my butt for as much as I am concerned. I will never go back to that place!

17. I'd sell them and get a 410 he. It's tuned more like the 810 and isn't as boomy as the hlf and it has better speakers than the 210av. I stack mine on top of my rack when I play and the rack on top of it to roll it. The reason they can sell the 210 so cheap is it has cheaper speakers. They seem like a great deal, I looked into them because they look really cool stacked vertically to me, but they are not the same as the other 10 loaded cabs. Keep an eye out for deals. I got $90 dollars off my 410 HE new with musicians friend so it was cheaper than buying 2 210av cabs. If you like the sound of not having a horn just turn the horn off. Or if you don't mind a heavy wieght the 810s go really cheap these days now that most bassists are into neo cabs and stuff. The local store here has a new 810 marked down to 700 because its been sitting so long.

I don't know what's up with music stores lately. Maybe they are all hurting because of the economy but I bought 4 warwicks from guitar center which now only carries squire and maybe one or two fenders an some low end ibanez basses. They only had a couple bottom line peavey cabs last time I shopped for a cab. Our locally owned music store makes their money on instrument rentals for schools. So they only had the same ampeg 810 I was getting rid of and some swr golight and working man cabs at the time. It was nerve wrecking to me to order from musicians friend because I'd never bought a cab before without playing it but got more than enough of a discount to pay for freight shipping and I ended up happy with the cab.

18. I tried a Ampeg 410 HLF today as well, I didn't like it one bit.

19. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I understand your frustration with their staff, but its about the only place in your area that carries an assortment of bass cabs. They don't pay well for trades......but I'll bet your local retailers won't either.

The one nice thing about GC is their generous return policy. They take returns (almost) no matter what.....even if they have to special order the item for you. Something to consider if you want to try out a cab that they don't have in stock.

20. What ever I use, it has to fit into the back seat of a honda accord.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.