Cabs: Carvin, Peavey, or Genz Benz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Jun 5, 2001.

1. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Anyone who has had experience with these three brands, would you please give me some reviews of the 2 10 cabs and 15 cabs. Every time I think I've decided on speakers I get second thoughts. Anyway, thanks in advance for your replies.

2. 6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    U'sve never played a Genz, or a Carvin, but I have played on a few Peaveys. They have no grace tonally, there just another bass amp, nothing special just one demensional sound. Go with something that sounds good to you. If you like the Peavey then go with it, but try a bunch of different companies and find something that agrees, with your ear, your wallet, and your bass, well, then by all means Buy it!!
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ah yes, it's so cool to bash Peavey. :rolleyes:

I've played examples of all of the above cabinets. The Peavey BURIES the Carvin, hands down, particularly in the 10" series of cabs. The Genz Benz stuff is good, but NOT better than the Peavey, IMO.

When I bought my rig I A/B/C'd a Peavey rig (T-Max, 410tx) with an SWR (SM 900, Goliath II) and and Eden (WT 800, D 410XLT). I mixed & matched heads and cabs to make sure I was getting the combination I really wanted. This was done at one time, in the same room with the same bass. I had the money to get whatever I wanted.

I drove home with the Peavey stuff (well, I got two of the 410tx's :) ).

The T-Max head was more versatile than either of the other two (2 channels, footswitchable effects loop and graphic EQ), and had more than ample power for my needs (the WT 800 sounds like it'd be pretty powerful, BUT you can't bridge the entire 800 watts into a 4 ohm load the way it's made). Tonally it was not as flexible overall, but it's basic "flat" sound was excellent, and at least the equal of the other two.

As for the cabinets, the Peavey was head-and-shoulders better than the SWR one, and the equal of the Eden to my ears (this IS all subjective, remember). All of the SWR cabinets with 10's in them have this odd upper mid spike that I just can't get along with, they sound honky to me. The Peavey was fat and warm, lots of presence and every note from lowest to highest was well-defined. It was a tiny bit hissier sounding than the Eden, but not enough to be really noticeable in a live enviroment.

I now am using a pair of Peavey 210txf's, which I find to be even better than the 410tx. Much improved low end response, these cabs are +/- 3dB @ 30Hz. Not many cabs can make that claim, and fewer can actually do it. These do.

I find that the higher end Peavey gear is anything BUT one-dimensional or tonally graceless. Yes, some of the low priced stuff is, but so is the low priced stuff from the other manufacturers (Eden/Nemesis/CXC, SWR Workingman's).

In the end though, listen to examples of each, and get what sounds good to your ears, not what everyone tells you is good, or what is the "in" thing this year.
  4. I don't think the 30 Hz claim is accurate. The 210TX specs show the frequency response is swept from 30 Hz to 15 Khz, but Peavey does not specify the range of deviation. This could be +/- 15 dB or worse. Of all the cabs I've catalogged, only the Bag End ELF and the EA Rumbleseat claim this spec. The only cab I've had on the bench so far that can reach 30 Hz +/- 3dB is one with a car stereo subwoofer installed. I'd be damned surprised if the Peavey can do what none of the high end cabs can accomplish. This is not intended to start a pissing contest, so please don't take this as flaming.

The 210TX series uses Sheffield drivers, but I cannot find any information on them. If somebody has the URL, please post it here.

The tuning frequency for this box is specified as 40 Hz... perfect for a 4-string, but unloaded at low B for a 5-string player.

Specs and techno-babble aside, the final judgement is in the ear of the player. Evidently the 210TX series really makes it for you, and that is all that matters.
  5. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I've had my 210TXF for about two years now. I agree that by itself at higher volumes it does not translate the sound of my fivestring well.

But that's why I use it in conjunction with a 1X15.

Overall, I found the 210 TXF to be tight, punchy and surprisingly deep, most likely due to the depth of the cab and the front ports. Compares nicely to the Eden 2X10, in my opinion.

But then again, maybe Gard and I just aren't "cool" enough to use other brands.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yes, it sure is fun to bash Peavey:rolleyes:. But since I am not in the mood to have fun tonight, I am gonna do the opposite.

I have had an 810tx cab for about two years now. I personally love the sound I get from it. It has all the punch I could ever need or want, and still has a fair amount of warmth to it. It faithfully reproduces the low B on my five string without a whimper, and the high notes come through crystal clear as well. I am totally happy with it. My only complaint is that it's a pain to haul around and load in and out by myself, but I always have help, so it isn't really an issue. I also knew that it would be before I bought it.

I recently tried out Peavey's new Nitrobass head through a 210tvx/115 BW cab set up. I thought it sounded great. It didn't have the punch that my 810 does, but it had a very well-rounded sound to it. I would check em out, if I were you. Definitely worth looking into, and very far from being "junk".

I have heard the stories about older Peavey stuff being bad, and I know some of their lower end stuff isn't that good, but like Gard said, quite a few makers have a cheaper line of gear that doesn't quite cut it for most people.

7. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Also, while I'm thinking about it, what is anyone's opinion on the Ampeg BSE series of speaker cabs. They are also in my price range and I wonder how they stack up against the afore mentioned brands of cabs.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Dirk -

If you can't swing the "Pro" series of Ampeg cabs, I'd avoid them. Not in a class with the Peavey stuff, IMO. The quality of everything below the Pro stuff is weak from what I've seen, and it didn't sound all that good either.
  9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I bought a Carvin RL410T a little more than a year ago. I have played at least a hundred dates with it and it has functioned wonderfully. I play a G&L L-2500 or a Tobias Growler 5. I have also used a 5 string jazz bass and a Carvin LB75 with it. MY preamp is a Bass POD pro and I use a Carvin R600 as a power amp.

I found found this Carvin cabinet to have tons of punch. The bottom end is tight. I have a friend who plays very similar music. He uses a Peavey 410 (tx series) The cabinets are nearly identical in weight, size and performance for that matter. I would gladly go to battle with either of them.

I have never played a Genz Benz 410. I tried a 115 and was unhappy with the sound.

10. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    The peavey 4x10txf is great.
  11. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I'll second that in a more general sense -- I'd never buy from the bottom of ANYONE'S product line, especially the higher-end brands (SWR, Eden). You end up paying too much for the name and getting inferior gear in the deal. Better to buy topline gear used than lower line stuff new.
  12. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    We all have opinions but I can't bring myself to
    recommend peavey. SWR is much better quality than peavey. As far as the others I would buy Carvin anyday over the Peavey.
  13. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I have 2 genz benz 2x15's they are huge, they sound great, and i love them. They are more for mid-rangy sounds. GB's 10's aren't too good.. they sound like they will blow up. Peavey's 10's are good, thier 4x12 cab is really good.

Carvin, no opinion on them
  14. Chas,
    I just picked up a R600 II and RL410T and also play a 5 string jazz, without the POD, how did you setup the head settings? I'm new to the R600...
  15. gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    I play through a GB 115 combo amp. To my ears it has a nice, round, warm sound that I did not find in other amps i tried in that price range. I've never played a carvin and my peavy experience has been with their cheap stuff which, as everyone else has said, is basically crap.

16. TerryBassMan

Jul 29, 2005
    I played Peavey professionally with major acts on the road for 20 years and never had a breakdown. Their speakers are excellent, and the baskets are field-replaceable (although I never needed that feature.) That being said, I also have a Genz-Benz with a 12" and a horn for small gigs right now that I use with a little light Peavey Delta Bass head and it sounds superb. For bigger gigs I also bought the Peavey T-Maxx head because it will go down to 2 ohms so that I can run 2 speakers in parallel. I have a Carvin with 2 tens, but it never sounded quite meaty enough for me. When I went in to one of my friends in Nashville who is a dealer to trade it in on another brand he suggested that I replace the speakers. I put in 2-10 inch Peavey Scorpions and it sounded like a whole different beast - at a cost of $70. Peavey makes good speakers. Genz-Benz makes better ones. The Carvins I don't like.

I've also got a Trace-Elliot combo amp, but it's one of the older ones before they went with the new company, so I can't vouch for their current quality. The one I have is the best amp I've owned, though. :bassist:
  17. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    When I bought my Peavey 210TX several years back, I tested it against GK, ADA, Hartke & Eden offerings in the same configuration. To my ears, the Peavey beat the pants off all but the Eden, which(again, to my ears) was in a whole other class...but for much more $$$. I drove home with the Peavey and played thru it happily for years.
    I agree that you have to compare apples to apples when it comes to comparing Peavey cabs to SWR(Professional Series or Workingmans?), for example. Peavey clearly outclasses the Big Name brands' lower level offerings. I don't trust Carvin much anymore, but Genz Benz rocks my world! :cool:
  18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I say forget the carvin... no personality.

The peavey 410 is a monster I have never been able to play one too loud, but it had handled all the low notes very well... and rocked.

the genz benz is a monster. it loud. it sounds great...

if i had to pick between the 2, i'd take the genz benz by a hair.