Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabs flashing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jiro, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    Yesterday my cab made a loud feedback noise and then it flashed like in the inside like a white light. I turned it off and later turned it on again and worked for awhile and then did it again. It works now. I dont know what is going on. I have a feeling that my cabinet is going to explode hahaha.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That is a protection circuit in the crossover that protects the tweeter from blowing under such conditions.

3. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    So its like a fuse? How many times until this thing wears out?

4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I have some old Bullfrog 3-way PA speakers that do the same thing when driven too hard. They have a tube/fuse bit in it that lights up to help warn idiots to turn down the master fader when they get a little too eager. They still work great despite lighting up a couple of times.

5. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    Ya it seems to happen more often if you plug in a guitar other then a bass guitar in it.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    First, that is basically like an automotive style tube shaped bulb. It might blow if you put too much voltage through it. A guitar is more likely to do this since most of it's signal will be coming out of the tweeter, so the tweeter gets most of the power, which the protection circuit is defending against. If you tweeter quits working, check this bulb first. Then also figure out what caused it to blow, then don't do that any more.

7. This tweeter protection thingamajigger...is just a common automotive light bulb. So it's going to last about as long as, well, the turn signal bulb in your car.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    just don't ride your brakes and you should be fine

:D ;)