Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabs for an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Th9nker, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Alright, I'm getting the head, now I've got to match up some cabs with it... Any suggestions?

-I was thinking about the Avatar 210 and 115 each at 8 ohms....

-I really like the ampeg 610 HLF

-I was also looking at the Ashdown cabs

Choices, choices....

2. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i just got an ashdown amb 500 and heres someting you should know. there is one 1/4" speaker output on the back and one speakon output on the back. thats it. so is you get 2 cabs make sure at least one of them has a speakon input or you can only use one cab. if youre trying to use 2 cabs with only 1/4" inputs youre screwed. or if youre using 2 cabs with only speakon inputs youre screwed. just get a ampeg 8x10 (4ohm) cab or even better a genz-benz 6x10 (4ohm) cab. they are the greatest!!! if you dont know what i mean go to www.ashdownmusic.com and look @ the rear pix of the 500.

3. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I think I might stick with a single 8x10 or 6x10 cab anyway....

But couldn't you just chain multiple cabs if you wanted to? I know that the Avatars have two 1/4 inch jacks and one SpeakOn jack, all wired in parallel. So, you could chain two cabs using the 1/4 inchers, right?

4. Yep, just chain them.

5. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Cool, thanks for the info anyone else have a cab suggestion?

6. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Bump...

Any more suggestions?

7. ddayseb

ddayseb

Mar 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    i'm pretty darn biased at the moment, but i would suggest considering a schroeder 410 or 21012. i play a g&l l-2500 through a ABM 500 EVO (I) and a 21012, and i'm very, very happy. so happy i don't look at gear anymore.

happy hunting,
    s

8. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Hmmmm.... Schroeder.... I hadn't considered them...

I really need to take MY bass and MY amp to various music stores and try out some cabs...

The local stores don't have crap though!!!

9. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I have the same head and use the speakon out put on the amp to one speaker and chain the other speaker off the second speakon jack on the first cab...works fine. I do find it strange that Ashdown only supplies one of each kind of output on the head, but its no big deal. As for cabs, I use the Ashdown with Bergantino 210/115 together/seperately and with my Bergie mini 12 HT/EX stack and with my Eden 410XLT....works well with any of them...very versitile new/old school sound. The Ashdown should work well with any cabs you choose...its really all about your sound and how much weight you are willing to haul around. The only characteristic I've noticed about the Ash you may want to consider is that it seems to be a bit treble shy...so if brightness is part of your sound, you may want to consider a brighter cab or one with an adjustable tweeter control. For me, I dislike clanky treble and don't slap unless I get excited from too much beer, so the Ash provides the warmth I like.

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    if you want a single 8x10. ashdown on ashdown is to me the best bet. i think youd really get off on it man. the heads and cabs sound really swell together.

11. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Yeah, I just wish that the ABM 8x10 didn't cost over $1500...

Hmmm, there is the new MAG 8x10 for $599 though...

12. Eden.

give 'em a try with the Ashdown before you decide on anything else

13. Avatar B212. I use one and I swear by them. I've got the 4 ohm model with an SVT-CL pushing it and that's good enough for me but I suppose you could get the 8 ohm 212 for 249.00 (42.00 shipping) and an 8 ohm b210 for 269.00 (29.00 shipping) and you'd have a sweet combination if you really want 2 cabs for a little over 500 bucks!
    [​IMG]

14. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    if you ever run into an Eden 210xst, or two of them give them a whirl...... i love mine! only other cab i would replace it with is a bag end d10b-xd but its too heavy. hehe