Cabs for Fretless

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Hey all,

I'll be picking up an iAMP500 in a few weeks and I'm looking for a cab to go with it. The next bass I purchase will be a fretless. What cabs do you guys like for your fretless basses right now? I'm really liking the AccuGroove Tri112L but I'm open to other options.

2. I think any cab will work, it's up to your fingers and your instrument to get the tone, but if I had to choose, I really like 12's right now, and I've always loved the quick response of 10's. What kind of f-less are you looking to get?
  3. I'm thinking a combination of a 12 and a 10 would be great. I've looked at some of those as well. I definitely want a 12 in the mix somewhere. I believe that would be great for the fretless tone.

A Nordstrand is my first pick for a new bass. Although, an Alain Caron F Bas would be nice as well. ;)
  4. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I recently picked up a Tri 2-10 and 1-12. The 6" midrange driver and dome tweeters exude warm rich mids and refined highs when I play my fretless through them. I think that you might also want to consider the various EA cabs too. There are so many great cab makers now, almost too many to mention - Epi, Bergantino, Schroeder, Aggie, Lowdown, etc. You certainly have your work cut out for you in trying to find the best cab for your application.

:D :cool: :D
  5. Ain't that the truth!

When I started this thread, I didn't intend on it being a "What's the best cab for me" thread, just one on the cabs that fretless players find good for that instrument.

Thanks for the help and I'd love to hear more thoughts on the subject.
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Sorry Bernie, I meant the "best cabs for a fretless".

7. Wait, I didn't direct that comment at you. Sorry! haha :D

Just saying that so people don't think it's a thread that I didn't put any thought into. ;)
  8. well, I'm pretty happy with my AccuGrooves. my fretless sounds better than I deserve an amp to sound through them!

from the lows,

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I whole heartedly agree with the AccuGroove recommendation. They are wonderful cabinets. I have found that they aren't very forgiving to weak technique or "almost intonation" if you know what I mean. I'm trying to figure out how I can get a Whappo Jr. right now.

I've been really liking a pair of Bergantino HT112's with my Rob Allen MB2. I'm sure you've read all the good stuff about these cabinets here on They do seem to sound the best with lots of power.
  10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Heh, I just got home from my third gig with my Schroeder 1210. I've now used both my fretless BGs, plus my EUB, with the Schroeder in gig situations. Tonight, the sound guy decided I didn't really need to go through the FOH, even though there were two fairly loud guitars, plus sax, keys, and drums, all miked. My iAmp800 had lots left in it even so. The Schroeder just seems perfectly voiced for fretless, IMHO. The slap sound with my Travis Bean was really cool, not always easy to achieve with a fretless.

I've really enjoyed the EA CxL-112 for fretless BG as well, but I like it best for EUB.
  11. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    Fretless has been my main bag for many years and I'm a big believer in 12's and that's all I have in my rig.

This is partly due though because of low B's that I like 12's...not just due to the bass being fretless.

Depending on the tone you like, you may look at cabs without horns. I like a horn for fretted playing but find I turn it off for fretless....just my personal taste.
  12. arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I vote for the EA CxL-112L, but that's the only cabinet I've played my fretless through so... my vote's a tad skewed. :oops: Regardless, I think it sounds terrific.

13. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Upon reading this you might call me a madman...

My EA/Aguilar/Eden cabs haven't been used at all since I tried my Ampeg 410HE with fretless. It looks pretty trailerpark but I must say that it's easily the best cab I own for the job.
  14. klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA

Another vote for Acme - I think my fretless (pedulla hexabuzz) sounds fantastic through two B1's. Or just one on a smaller gig.

15. I must say, I've heard alot of good things about these cabs. Definitely one to consider. From what I remember, the Acmes are power hogs. What Acme would pair well with the iAMP500?

Thanks for all the opinions guys.
  16. klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Looks like the IAMP 500 does 500 into 4 and 2 ohms; a 4-ohm B2 or two B1's would work fine.

The B2 is rated at 350 w/500 usually a good starting point.
    The b1's are half that (175) -- I run an Eden WT600 (300/side@4Ohms) into them, but sometimes it seems they could use even a little more juice. If you're careful, you could put 500 into them; just don't thump your low B to loudly. I actually bridged my Eden into one of them once at a really quiet piano trio gig (not realizing the Eden should not be bridged into 4 ohms) -- and nothing happened except a *really* good sound. Mind you - the Eden bridged into 8 Ohms is 600 watts; not sure what I actually put into that little 4Ohm B1 that day, but it really sang on that gig. I was usuing my fretless as I recall.
  17. Very cool! Thanks, man. I really love the tone of the iAMP so anything that will faithfully reproduce that sound is good to me.
  18. Hey Jerry,

AccuGroove's are something I'm definitely considering. Having a dealer close by is a great help in that area.

I've never tried a Berg though. There's no denying the quality.
  19. Fretless 7 string with Piezo and bart pickups, AI Clarus into Accugroove Tri112L with a Epifani 1x10 UL on top = heaven.

When I get my 2nd Tri 112L after trading in my Epi it will be double Heaven [theologically unsound statement but you get my drift].

Accugroove and Piezo's are brilliant because every nuance from the Piezo's come through. Not harshly just faithfully!

Accugroove are fantastic and with a Sansamp SABDDI for a little grunt, it covers every eventuality I could wish for.

20. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I have an iAmp 500 I use with a 4 ohm Acme B-2 when playing either fretted or fretless. Won't get stupid loud, but sounds great.