1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Cabs for heavy and metallic guitar-like sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oZZma, Oct 17, 2018.

1. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    Could you suggest a cab I could pair with a guitar head (Sovtek Midget) to emulate a guitar-like sound and being capable of heavy, harsh, metallic sound, to be used mostly with distortion (but not always)? Something suitable for a noise-type of sound

I imagine I should pick something like a 2x10 with a tweeter or compression driver, I have a PF210 HE for the bass amp and it seems capable of that type of sound, I was about to buy another one for this purpose but I'd like to try other "flavours" too
    I don't need much power because the head is only 50 watt.

Budget: 350€ (about 400$), used. The less the better

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  2. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    I wouldn't use a tweeter loaded cab with high distortion.

For crunchy guitar tone a large sealed 2x12 loaded with vintage 30s is probably close to the standard as you can get.

Black shadows or EVM12Ls in a used mesa boogie 2x12 would be next in line.

All the years fiddle farting with guitar cabs and amps basically a 2x12 with a pair of any of those drivers will be spot on for guitar.

MattZilla and oZZma like this.
  3. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    thank you for the useful tips @BogeyBass !! I don't know much about "guitar-like" sounding cabs, and I haven't even used distortion much until now, I'll re-orient my search to 2x12 :thumbsup:
    The ones you cited are cabs made for guitar, right? Any suggestion for BASS cabs with that type of sound? I'm not too convinced of using true guitar cabs with bass...
    Maybe I should have explained better in the OP: I'll play bass through that guitar head, so... maybe I need a bass cab

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  4. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Guitar cabs.

scf4003 and oZZma like this.
  5. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    They say you can blow them if you play bass through guitar cabs.

6. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    You can blow most stuff if you do stupid enough stuff. Trick is not doing that.

oZZma likes this.
  7. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    All you need to do is lower your action and you'll have all the "clank" you're looking for:)

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Bass is probably the wrong instrument for a guitar-like sound

MattZilla likes this.
  9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    You might look for a used Genz Benz G-Flex 212, very robust with plenty of what you appear to be looking for.

oZZma likes this.
  10. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    I think you misunderstood my intentions. I'm not looking for "the clank", I'm looking for this (skip to 1:28)

I disagree. I already ALMOST reached the type of sound I need with a Cat King with heavy clipping on highs. Maybe it depends on the type of bass, I haven't tried this with the "normal" bass I have but on the Kramer that setting on that pedal exacerbates the metallic character as well as the high harmonics, which are a distinctive trait of aluminum necks, even without effects. BUT I must say my Jaguar (maple fretboard with steel roundwounds on) was also very "guitar like" on the G string, which is enough for what I have to do

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  11. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    Thanks for the suggestion! I did a search, not very easy to find in Italy or Europe, any more widely available alternatives?

12. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    huh. Based on the sample you posted, that's kinda the opposite of a "heavy and metallic guitar-like sound". This pretty much sounds like a heavily compressed Ampeg SVT or a Fender Bassman or something. All the highs sounds completely rolled off. Just a big wall of muddy low end.

The term "metallic" when talking about bass tone makes me think more of something like this:

in which case, get a Darkglass Microtubes.

oZZma likes this.
  13. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    On the sample, listen to the guitar line, not the bass one! :)

I have the B3K, I liked it on the other bass but not on this one. IMO the Cat King does the pedals job very well, just looking for a cab, but thanks for the suggestion! :)

14. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    ohhhh. Huh. As far as amps go, the only thing I can think of is this:

oZZma likes this.
  15. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    very interesting! Yes, seems like it definitely does the trick! I didn't know that! :)
    As for the head, I already bought a Sovtek Midget, but I haven't tried it yet (no cab, no party :rollno:!) , for now I'm playing with a cheap guitar combo I borrowed from my drummer just to start my "experiments" as soon as possible :D

16. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    How about Engl guitar cabs? :D

engl cabs.jpg

grumpy.jpg

17. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Lol

If you're not dealing with a too much space in your home + too much money scenario wherein you're just trying to get rid of it before you blow it on drugs and booze and wake up in a jail in Britain, why not just get a couple of guitar pedals. My non-fancy rat clone going into a Digitech Ventura Vibe is almost completely devoid of any content below 300hz. An eq pedal would also work towards alleviating the cab collecting syndrome.

18. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    I'm asking for cabinets suggestions, not life coaching, but thanks
    Maybe you could have asked more politely why buying a cab instead of bla bla bla
    I would have answered politely that I play in a duo and we don't have a guitarist, so we're going for two amps so we can use the bass one, the guitar one, or both, and have a less "basic" sound and emulate a second instrument, which pedals would NOT do
    As for the "fancy" irony, I bought that one (USED) because I was looking for a decent "feedback" capable pedal, and that one seemed better than the FreqOut which is cheaper but sounds too digital. But I don't even know why I'm justifying that

19. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I don't know why you're justifying anything either. This is your thread and, the way that it proceeded, I found it funny. I certainly didn't have any questions and I definitely wasn't offering any life coaching. Waking up several countries away from home after a heavy bender would be infinitely cooler than having extra gear to schlep. I stand by that. Some people would disagree. They would get pedals with blend features or straight blender pedals like the Boss LS-2 instead of building a bi-rig.

"Fancy" wasn't for irony, it was to reduce to one word that the rat that I have that I think would suit your goal as implied throughout the thread has neither a blend nor added bass content.

Being that you're doing a noise band, that implies a lot of experimentation- buy lots of open back guitar cabs and a few bass speakers to put in them. Most will sound like dook, some might sound cool, almost all will still benefit from having some sort of bass-cutting pedal in front of the amp.

Best wishes on your quest.

oZZma likes this.
  20. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    ok mate, I didn't mean to be rude (although I still disagree :D) and maybe I misunderstood your tone, it happens on the internet and this is not my mother language, so I'm sorry for the unpleasant response
    Thanks for the tips and for the wishes :)

MattZilla likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021