1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cabs for massive low end . Sound definition is not mandatory

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baxter_x, Feb 19, 2018.

1. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Last weekend, we've been working intensively with our sound engineer to really improve our sound on stage and FOH.
    Since then, I've been using two SWR Goliath III cabs for their massive, clean, dynamic tone and I would rely on them to really have my tone (along with my Mesa Titan V12).
    I recently also invested in a sennheiser IEM G3 device as I also sing in the band.

Since I had these IEM, I would only ask for both voices into it. No more.
    After this weekend, things completely changed. The sound engineer really taught me how to use IEMs by sending pretty much the entire band in, with bass and voice enhanced for me. The bass signal came from the Di of the Mesa Titan V12.

I then noticed the definition of my tone would come from IEMs and not really from cabs anymore.
    So I'm now considering swapping my SWR 410 for something else with massive low end that I could hear and feel. But high end definition is not anymore a priority as it now comes from the in ear monitor.
    I was thinking about the Ampeg 610 HLF. I've owned this cab for about a year and loved it.
    Any other recommendations? Anything lighter than the 610 would be also appreciated.

Thanks

zon6c-f likes this.
  2. I'd think the two SWR's would push all the lows you could handle, just with a bit of EQ tweaking.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If your sound guy is any good, he'll explain to you that this is a bad idea. Huge low end on stage will only serve to muddy up everything out front.

You either need to stand directly in front of your rig so it rattles your spine without making a muddy mess of everything else..... or....

If you want to feel your bass, you need one of these.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/buttkicker-bkp-platform
    buttkicker one. buttkicker two.

4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Are you familiar with the "3-L" approach? It gets turned and twisted into all kinds of variations, but the way I learned it was:

Loud, little, low; pick 2

You can use this to your advantage here. You could prioritize little and low. That way, your big bottom end won't interfere with the FOH, you have an easier schlep, and you can still get the feel of having a big cab thundering away behind you.

You could DIY something close to a fEARful, but skip the crossover and mid driver. The 3012LF without these other two components is not a bad idea for something like that. Not exactly a sub, since it would be run wide open, but not a lot of content above low midrange.

Just a thought. Might be worth putting on your short list when weighing pros and cons.

Rickter and EricssonB like this.
  5. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I do think he's very good at least. It might be me who doesn't relay correctly what he advised me. But I understand to feel the massive low end, I'll need to stand in front of my rig. I won't feel it if I'm on the other side of the stage.

True, both cabs stacked together push a damn massive low end. Still it might be a little bit overkill now that I don't really need the refined tone they provide me as I won't hear it anymore.
    Some low end, entry level stuff might do the trick.

I had something like that in mind.

basscooker likes this.
  6. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Here you go. Get a pair of these and you'll never get an argument from a guitarist again! :thumbsup:

Peavey 3620's. 2 x 18's per cab and 2 x 10's for high end. Enough to rattle your teeth.

3620 stack.

7. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    :wideyed::jawdrop:

I used to shake stuff off shelves within a half mile radius with ONE 3620. That rig right there probably has seismologists scratching their heads every time it's turned on.

8. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Fine but..... what about the weight???

9. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Sorry sir. I was being funny. Should have added a smiley. But I've played just ONE of these cabs and they are thunder. Also yes, they weigh a ton. But they will be capable to providing you with the low end your heart desires IF you can talk someone into helping you move it! :D

10. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I was pretty sure it would weight a ton ;)

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  11. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Those Peavey Monoliths look great.

SWR Megoliath is a great cab. It has a big sound where it fills up not only your house but also the entire neighbourhood. It has some cut on the low mids (like GIII) but definitely a fun cab to play through.

12. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Not a fun one to move around ;)
    But I'm close to this cab with both my swr 410.

13. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    18 " speakers.

Fuzzonaut, GlennRH and watspan like this.
  14. If you go pumping massive low end for the feels you might be better carrying the room with the stage rig unless it's a stadium.

15. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Don't you care what the audience hears? THEY are not listening to your IEMs, and by going for massive low end without any care for definition, you are creating a whole new problem that is IME far worse than what you have already.

Munjibunga, Amajew, Wito and 14 others like this.
  16. Volume requirements vary.

Coffee shop jazz
    Stadium Rock.

I believe most gigs where people ask about cab solutions are closer to the top than the bottom.

When you're indoors it has to be a bloody big room to not poopie all over the FOH with your stage rig when it's loud enough to give you the feels.

Axstar and smogg like this.

17. You’re yammering again Will. See I told you you’d do it more often! :D

18. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Tactile transducer platform..

19. I subbed a gig that used a buttkiker and it made my butt itch, in a bad way, not for me, thanks.

S-Bigbottom and two fingers like this.
  20. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    IEMs will take the whole “feel” part of live music away for sure, but not for your audience. I agree wholeheartedly with the oner suggestions that the sound man will deal with that end of things (hopefully), and that adding in sub-lows on your part is going to create some major mud issues.

Nephilymbass and smogg like this.