Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabs for my new Thunderfunk?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Good afternoon

My thunderfunk is in the mail right now, and it's time looking for a proper cab. I've seen lots of threads on this, but I seek more answers.

I wanna have a pretty lightweight rig - easy to carry around. I don't have any serious back issues, though, so it doesn't have to be as lightweight as possible. I'm just tired of bringing my 4x10 around.

I've been thinking that two 1x12 might fit the bill. And I've looked at the ESB neos. BUT: I can't afford two of them - only one. I will have enough money to buy one more in the future, though. So I wonder: Until I get the money to buy another 1x12. Will the Thunderfunk sound good with just one? And will it be loud enough? It shouldn't be much of a problem, since I always go through PA. But I want it to sound good, and I'm afraid that one 1x12 will not let my Thunderfunk shine through, even as a temporary solution.What do you think?
    Or perhaps I should just save up for the neo 2x12. How heavy is that, compared to my old hartke 4x10?

If you have more suggestions I'll be happy. My local shop advices me to go SWR, as they are "bang for the buck." But I dunno....

Thanks!

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    brad johnson uses his with a bag end coaxial 1x15 (S15X-D) and a nahas 1x12. he says the BE is loud enough for a lot of gigs.

i use a bag end 1x15 and a bag end 1x12. i've used those with an eden wt-400 and founf that setup to be loud enough for all but the loudest gigs (including outdoor shows). from what i've heard, the thunderfunk is a bit louder than the eden watt for watt. (btw, the BE 12 and 15 sound superb together) :cool:

i think the aggies are great cabs too, but need a midrange bump to cut thru (no prob with the thunderfunk eq) i think you'd also do well with a pair of bergies or epifanis

3. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    +1 on Bag End

You also might consider a Genz Benz Neo. Those cabs are getting some nice press around here. Although I haven't heard them, I do own two Genz Benz boxes and they are well made and sound great.

4. I think a Bergantino 210 costs about as much as a EBS neo 112. ($650?) Having not tried the EBS, I would recommend the Bergantino 210 as phenomenal with the Thunderfunk. It is not going to be room-filling, but it will be sweet as all get out, and with PA support will be dreamy. I got an Aguilar 212 because I often do not have PA support. That also can be had for about that price, but is a bit larger. EA might be an option as well.

You might as well get a small really nice cab and sound great. If you eventually want more, get another small really nice cab and sound greater.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you want to go the 1x12 route - specifically, two 1x12's - I think that the Bergantino HT112/EX112 combo is very good with the Thunderfunk. Two Epifani T-112's might also be the ticket, though I generally prefer the T-112/T-110UL combo (except I must say that I played through two T-112's with my WWU last night, and it has me thinking that this might be a magical combination). The nice thing about the Epi T-112, is that just one does a very respectable job, whereas with the Bergies, I really feel like I need two (for 5-string electric, at least). The EA Wizzy is a 4 ohm 1x12 that sounds really good with the Thunderfunk, and gets quite loud. The Thunderfunk will handle a 2 ohm load, so you could add a second one later. Also on the EA front, a single NL-210 would be a great place to start. They are light as a feather, and seem to move a lot of air for a 2x10. They have that EA clarity, but also have a hint of warmth to them. I think that it compliments the Thunderfunk pretty well. You could add a second NL-210 or a CxL-112 later for a very mighty rig. The older VL-series cabs from EA really like a ton of juice, but the newer cabs would do quite well with 400 watts into two 8 ohm cabs.

Another thought would be to get a Bergantino HT210S for now and then the EX112S later. I haven't heard the "sub" box (EX112S), but I was really impressed with the HT210S. It is quite punchy, and it is also a very portable cab. Yet another option would be Dr. Bass cabs. I own two custom neo cabs from Marc - a 2x10 and 1x15 - and they sound great with the Thunderfunk. Low Down Sound makes a bevy of great sounding, fairly efficient, cabs, too.

The Thunderfunk would mate well with a wide variety of cabs, so you have a lot of options.

Tom.

6. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Amen. . . the T-112 is a fantastic stand-alone, get the job done on small gigs 12. Also, check out the AccuGroove Tri112L if you're thinking the single 12 route. It's under 40lbs and I've heard that it blows the Epi 112 away :eek: . I have yet to experience it myself though. . .

7. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    2 ohm load on the thunderfunk?

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Great point. I have not heard the Tri 112L, but I own a Whappo, Jr., Tri 210L, and Tri 110, and the Tri 112L would probably be a good option. The Tri 110 is really punchy, but doesn't have a ton of low end, so I wouldn't recommend it as a single cab, though it might pair up really well with a Tri 112. I know it sounds great with my Tri 210L.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    According to Dave, it will handle a 2 ohm load.

10. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    thats' odd, when i asked dave he told me it wouldn't (IIRC)

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It depends when you asked him. When I first spoke to him about it some time ago, he also told me that 4 ohm is the suggested minimum load. But apparently a lot of people have been bugging him about 2 ohm stability, so he put it on the bench and did some testing, and came to the conclusion that it would handle a 2 ohm load without a problem. Note: this is all from my personal recollection. I do not want to put words in Dave's mouth, so hopefully he can respond.

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
  13. Wow, guys, thanks for a lot of good help.
    The problem, though, with all the cabs that you mention is that they are not avaliable here in Norway. And I fear that the shipping expenses will be pretty high on a cab. But I'll check those out.
    It sounds like having two small 8ohms cabs is the way to go. I just buy one for now, and add another one after a while.
    Becuse two small 8 ohms cabs sound better than one small on 4 ohm, right?

Hopes this made sense, cuz I just came home from a beery evening.

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The Thunderfunk is a great head....I think it would be hard for it to sound bad with any good cab! I've had great luck with both Bergantinos and the Schroeder 1210, and soon the 1212 :cool:

15. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I would say an Epifani T-112 or an Aguilar GS112 both are nice light cabsand great sounding. The Aguilar has real nice depth.

16. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you're talking about the same configuration (e.g., all 1x12 cabs), then yes, two 8 ohm 1x12 cabs are louder than one 4 ohm 1x12 cab. you're moving more air with the two drivers. theoretically you should get 3-6 dB of an increase in volume that way.

17. Ok, think I'm going to buy one 8 ohm 1x12 at first an then add another cab when I get the cash!

18. At BassCentral they have two used Aguilar 112s for $299 each.
    Does that sound like a good deal and a good match for the Thunderfunk?

Thanks once again for all your help.
    One day I'll know enough to give some help in return:)

19. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    as long as the cabs are in good shape - yes
    and yes they would do great. like i said, you may find that you need to bump mid frequencies a bit, but the TF has fantastic eq for doing just that.
    i wouldnt hesitate to play thru 2 aggie 112 cabs. :D

20. I strongly consider to match one Aguilar 112 with the Bag End S15-D
    Does that sound like a good combination? Their sound will not "crash"? Need too have as much information as possible before I order, you see, because I cannot try it out...:)