1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabs: Genz Benz vs Gallien Krueger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slowgypsy, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I'm curious if anyone has any solid real world comparison experience with this. Assuming using the same amp, and that the set up would a NEO212... what might the difference in tone be between these two well known and established brands. Any difference in tone? I'm asking cause I'm considering a change in my rig. Any thoughts???

2. I have owned both of these cabs. I still own the GB NEOX-212T and I can't see ever getting rid of it. This is simply an amazing bass cab. It is very good at producing the low frequencies and still a very tight and punchy sound. IMO one of the best sounding cabs I have ever heard.

My experience with the GK Neo212 was that it was an ok cab. It was very loud but a little on the muddy side and couldn't hit the low frequencies very well.

If you look at the specs for both of these cabs, they are pretty close. The main difference other than 4 vs. 8 ohms is the frequency response. GK 60Hz to 19KHz where the GB goes down to 42Hz. That's a significant difference especially if you are using a 5 string since the low B can produce frequencies around 35Hz.

3. Forcemaster

Forcemaster Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Portland, OR

Interesting you say that about the GK cab, I use the NEO212 and find it not lacking at all in lows and full of clarity.

Then again I run it bi-amped with a GK 700RB-II, so that may change the sound a bit and i've never ran it in full range mode yet. What head were you running through it?

Also OP what head are you using?

4. I was using an Ampeg SVT-3Pro so you could be on to something there. I have since switched to a GBE1200 head which made a world of difference even with my GB 212T cab. But I no longer have the GK cab to see how it would sound with a different head. At the time though, when I compared the two cabs with the same Ampeg head, the GB cab gave me a much fuller tone.

5. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    I'm yet to hear the Genz Benz 212, but IMO the GK NEO212 is one of the best sounding cabs I've heard in a long time.
    Very full and loud!

6. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    I LOVE

GK SBX GK SBX GK SBX GK SBX GK SBX GK SBX GK SBX GK SBX GK SBX GK SBX

:)

7. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I recently played through GK's new Neo 410 cab, I was very impressed!