Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabs in Australia

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeboth, Jul 16, 2002.

1. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    I'm looking for some fellow Aussies to share info on their experience with locally assembled cabs (Sovtek, caseman.com.au etc) - the AUS$1500+ prices for an "imported" 4x10 are a little beyond my current means, and I'd like to hear about more cost-effective options.

BTW, I've got a Yamaha P3500 power amp (~500W/channel into 4 ohms) and would likely be after a suitable 4 x10" first then a 1x15" later. I saved a response from some forum/site relating to a guy who paid about $900 for an Eminence-loaded 4x10" from caseman.com.au but can't seem to find the original source again....

TIA

MikeB

2. Hey Mike,

How's that Yammie working for you? I ordered a CP2000 (which I'm still waiting for btw ;-( ) which is fairly similar to the p-series. Haven't been able to try it in a store so I just ordered it and I'll see how it turns out. But your experiences with the p3500 would (hopefully) give me something to look forward to so please share them.

Cheers rody

3. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    All I've used the P3500 for at the moment is driving an old Peavey SP2 (full range PA cab - 15" BW driver + horn) for practicing at home. I've only recently got into playing again after a 10 year layoff - man, so much has changed in terms of the range and quality of equipment available! It'll be a couple of months before I'll be ready to play out again, so a full field test of the amp will have to wait until then.

Anyway, I would have preferred to get a lighter / smaller amp (the P3500 weighs a ton, and is 3 units high) but at the same time there is nothing like having so much power available. I just need to get a cab to match (the 4 x 10") and possibly another later on (the 1 x 15").

What cabs have you or are you getting to go with the CP2000?

Edit:
    -----------
    I just checked the specs on the CP2000 - yeah, it does seem similar to the P3500, about 20% extra power, 1 unit less in height a hard limiter. Sounds pretty sweet!
    -----------

Cheers

Mike

4. I currently have a Nemesis 4*10 cab rated at 450 W RMS@ 4 ohms. I plan on building an additional cab from a 15" PA woofer someone gave me as soon as I get off of my lazy ass and measure the T/S parameters so I can figure out the right cab. With those two I plan to biamp using the crossover on my Yamaha PB-1 preamp and both channels on the CP2000.

I don't know how heavy the p3500 is, but the cp2000 is 14 kg (30 lbs?) which isn't too bad. Granted, it's no QSC PLX but it's way better than the 4u 60-80 lbs Bose amp I'm using at the moment ;-) (haven't weighed it on a scale but it's up there LOL)

Cheers rody

5. I run a bass pod into a yamaha p1600 and then into a sovtek quad box(4x10 + horn). I have had both for almost 1 year now.
    The yamaha has been no drama's at all, several people have commented on how reliable they are. The extra headroom of the 3200 would be sweet but budget doesn't allow unfortunately. it is the only power amp i have ever tried for this application so i can't make a comment on suitability for bass but i am mainly happy with my sound.
    As for the sovtek, it was far and away the cheapest quad box i could find. i think they retail for $800, i paid $640 for mine. I will confess to not knowing heck of alot about cabinets, but with eminance speakers at that price how can you go wrong.
    I had never heard of caseman before and would be very apreciative if anyone knows anything about sovteks web presence. i have also heard that they have changed there name but i don't know what to.

6. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Thanks for the feedback. The thing I don't get is the 'local assembly' with a Sovtek branding. Is this the same Sovtek as the tube / Electroharmonix people. Hmmmm.

Where did you acquire your Sovtek cab from? And do you know which Eminence drivers are loaded in it?

MikeB

7. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Theres a new, well new in theory, company in the australian market called Ebony. They used to make cabs and heads for the now defunct Eminar. You can get their gear from here www.bassplayer.com.au .
    I have tried a few of their cabs and amps. Its not what i would buy but you may like it. I tried it with no intention of buying, but if i wanted a decent quality cheap rig i would definately consider those.

8. I have discovered that sovtek are now called mercury. I saw 3 mercury cabinets today, two 410's and a 15. The speakers in both the 410 cabinets were not labeled on the front, but the speaker in the 15 was plastered with eminence. Go figure?

I got my sovtek box from the guitar shop, paddington brisbane. I am fairly sure the eminance speakers in my box are delta 300watt's. Don't ask my about the horn i wouldn't have a clue.
    sovtek/mercury are made by electric factory
    www.elfa.com.au
    but i can't find any info on their web site about these products.
    Matt

9. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Thanks for all the responses. I guess I just can't see myself paying AUS$2k+ for a top-of-the-line imported 4x10 locally assembled options are available for <1K. Maybe when I'm a better player .... ;)

I'll post when I get my new 4x10 and let you know what I think.

Mike

10. Have you had a look at Lab Systems
    theyre an aussie company
    ive got a 300w head by them
    im not really in the know about cabs and stuff but my head works, therefore job done
    hav a look at the site
    its labsystems.com or sumthing similar

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  12. those wayne jones cabs look sweet but they are hardly cheap.
    :eek:
    Although they're not australian, peavey make a bass quad that you can pick up for well under $1000. although they are very hard to find in my neck of the woods.