Cabs in Parallel

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassRocker8713, Sep 9, 2005.

1. BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
    Well, this is another question about my SVT-5Pro (sorry!). Ok, so I know that if I have two 4 Ohm cabs I can connect them each to its own power amp, thus getting 340 watts into each cab (2 x 340). But, could I connect one cab to the mono-bridge, then hook up the second cab to the first in parallel and get 500 watts into each cab? If not, why is this not possible? Thanks in advance for helping out a confused bassist!

2. After looking at the specs of the SVT5Pro, this should work as you described it, no problem here. Of course, your cabs must be able to handle the power.

Sorry, this was bull****!

The resulting impedance would be 2 ohm which your SVT5Pro cannot handle in bridge mode.

You have to keep your original setup!
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's right.

There are two ways you could get 500w into each of 2 speaker cabs. Unfortunately none of them work with your existing cabs:-

1) Two cabs of 2 ohms each. Given that there are no 2ohm cabs on the market that I know of, this isn't really an option. But in theory, you could run each off one side of the amp and each will get 500w.

2) Two cabs of 8 ohms each, connected in parallel for a 4 ohms load. Then run them to the amp in bridge mode. This will produce 1000w, split evenly into 500w for each cab.

With two 4ohm cabs, your current setup is already at it's optimum, but if 680w into 2 cabs isn't loud enough, your band needs to turn down!