Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabs sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by semborg, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Will a cab with sensitivity 103db need more power to get same volume level as a cab with sensitivity 96db?

(How does that sensitivity counting work?)

Thank you

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well from what I know the higher the sensativity the louder/less watts you need.

If you have a cab that is rated at 98 db and put 400 watts into it, it is going to be loud of course, but if you have a cab that has a sensativity of 103 and put the same 400 watts into that cab. It will be louder.

I don't know the tecnical stuff about it. I just know the higher the sensativity the better.

3. aha, so generally higher sensitivity = louder volumes
    Right?

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The spec is for sound pressure level with 1 watt input, measured 1 meter away. The cab with 96dB sensitivity will need ~5 times the power that the one with 103dB sensitivity does to achieve the same level, all other factors being equal. (!) A 10dB increase in sound pressure level is generally accepted to sound "twice as loud", more or less.

Here's a simple (erm...maybe) calculator you can play with to see how power correlates to loudness: http://www.bessernet.com/jobAids/dBCalc/dBCalc.html

And as always, there's the Talkbass Amp FAQ