Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabs: SWR, Eden, or Aguilar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Nov 8, 2001.

1. SWR

54 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. Aguilar

81 vote(s)
    39.7%
  3. Eden

69 vote(s)
    33.8%
  1. So i was thinking, i mostly play progressive rock, but i do do a lot of other styles as well. I'm the type of player that loves the real nice bass sound. Nice warm lows, great highs, maybe some punch if that's what i'm looking for at the time. I figure, when it comes to heads, i would either get an Aguilar preamp for it's real nice warm sound, or else and Eden or SWR head, possibly the IOD. I like to have some gritty sounds on occasion. So then there is the matter of cabs. What would you guys say would be the best for this type of sound i'm looking for. I mean, sure i will try them all out personally but i still want to hear what you guys think. If you guys want to throw your two cents in on head options, be my guest.

2. I'm an Eden user, but the minute it starts showing up on the used market, I'm trading my pair of D-210Ts for a GS-410. Aguilar cabs are fabulous--all the bass and low-mid response of Eden, but with a smoother crossover (and thus more high mid response) and a less obnoxious tweeter.

3. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    dont like the edens, too exagerated in the low mids. havent heard the aguilars, but from what i hear id prefer them the to edens. the horn on the swr is a little clanky if turned up too high, but thats easily overcome by better technique (unless youre slaping)

4. bottomluvr

bottomluvr Guest

Nov 7, 2001
    Don't care for horns so I just turn them off. There really should be no reason to poll Eden, SWR, and Aguilar together, the Aguilar stuff clearly outclasses Eden and SWR on every level. Go and listen to them, then make up your own mind, no one can tell you what ears are going to hear.

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    yeah, but SWR is so less in price and only a little lower in sound quality. if the money doesn't matter, get an Aguilar.

6. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Well, I've not heard the Aguilar, Bergs, or Epifani cabs but it's hard for me to believe that they sound 10X better than an Eden 2-10XLT! I recently heard a 1-10 Euphonic Aud. cab and while I was impressed, it still didn't match my Eden.

I used to own an SWR Goliath 2 4-10 and I prefer my Eden over it. I now have 2 2-10XLT's and this rig is all I'll ever need IMO.

Ask me next week, I may have a totally different opinion (LOL).

Tapp

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just took delivery on a new Aguilar GS410.:D

I'll try and post a review tonight when I get a bit more time. All I can say right now is BOY HOWDY she's a sweetheart and at a price that would make even SWR sweat.

8. 66jazzbass

66jazzbass

Aug 8, 2001
    NY, NY
    THe Aguilar cabs are a bit less expensive than the Edens. So here's a cab on par with the total boutique stuff but costs inbetween SWR and Eden. I gotta say I love the Ag cabs! I've got 2 112s and a 210!

9. bassboat

bassboat

Sep 27, 2001
    I love 15's! I bought the Aguilar GS 115 from the New York bass Boutique about four months ago. It is very full-range plus has tons of big booty.
    It set me back only $550! Aguilar gets my vote.

10. I've heard great things about Acme cabs, though I've never played through one.

Check out thier reviews at Harmony Central and BGRA. (Acme and Acme Sound Ltd are the same company)

11. Bichegrinderboy

Bichegrinderboy

Nov 8, 2001
    LA
    I've owned Eden, SWR, Bag End, Epifani, (yes my wife hates me) and I've been the happiest with the Aguilar cabinets that I've bought over the last year. My 410 just sits in a mix perfectly and sounds musical where the others sound ok by themselves, but not with the band. I just recently picked up a pair of GS 112's and I've been playing some pretty loud gigs with them. They are my new favorites. Plus they are so much less expensive than the other 112's out there...

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I love Eden cabs, but the Aguilar cabs are tighter and more solid sounding than the Edens.

I A/B'd a GS410 and a D410XLT, once with the DB359 and once with the WT400, and the GS410 won both comparisons.

13. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    SWR's and Aguilar's cabs are about the same price, in MF anyway.

14. MypartnerStinks

MypartnerStinks

Jun 19, 2001
    I have an aguilar GS-410. I couldn't be happier. One thing though, It is heavy like 100 pounds so only get a 4x10 if you can lug it. At a recent show on a wood stage. The lows were so strong on it I had trouble standing right in front of it becuase the vibrations on my legs made it hard to stand. :D

15. It has built-in casters, right? I don't have a problem with weight (I'm 6'2", 18, and very foolish) as long as I have casters.

Aguilar is a model company. Their prices are excellent, the construction is military-spec, and the tone is heavenly. If I ever get the money for a Chris Squire-style rig, I'm getting a DB359 and a GS410 for dirty sounds, and a DB659 and a high-power solid-state power amp pushing another GS410 for clean full-range sound.

16. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    yeah, but SWR is so less in price and only a little lower in sound quality.

Not so true! ;)

The lows were so strong on it I had trouble standing right in front of it becuase the vibrations on my legs made it hard to stand.

Oh baby I can't wait for this to happen.:D

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I like Aguilar cabs. I bought one, the new GS112. Then I sold it. Not because it was bad, because I would need two and to my ears they didn't sound appreciably different from my Edens.

I own 2 D210XLT's and 2 Euphonic Audio VL110's. The "trick" with the EA's is the same as the Aggie 112... you need two to get killer sound. With the D210XLT I usually can get away with one. Two is easily on par with any of the 410's I've checked out.

For me, SWR cabs aren't really on par with the Aggie or Edens. If I were going to start over, I'd want to check out the Bergantinos but I seriously think I'd end up with what I have.

I like the fact that either of my rigs is a one-trip load in... and either is ~90 lbs. :D

18. bigboski69

bigboski69

Jul 25, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    My neighbor runs 2 SWR Big Bertha 2x15's and they rock. Awesome mids and big bottom end volume wihtout excessive distortion. They're on casters and ported on the bottom and produce enough rumbling to rattle the walls in my house from 100 yds away. I'd say go with SWR.

19. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I plan on getting 2 Big Bertha's also, i think they are the best cabs I have tried and I need loud ground shakers like those....I don't like "warm" sounding cabs, i like cabs with a slight dip in the high mid area, and ultra glassy highs...

20. First i'd like to say thank you to you all for giving me your opinions on different cabs and what you think would sound best. If you guys don't mind, i'd also like to throw another cab company in the mix and see what you guys think too. That is MESA. What do you guys think of the new Powerhouse cabs and how would you say they would compare to the Eden and Aguilar, especially for the sound i'm looking for? Once again, i will definately play them all myself for my own personal ear.